Thread: HELP. Something is seriously wrong with my ACF

Default HELP. Something is seriously wrong with my ACF

There is something really really wrong with my African Clawed Frog. I woke up this morning and went to check on him and this is what he looked like.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...18zY0ExaDNqdnc
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...k5MS0R5OGN3NkE

I have NO IDEA what that is and can't find anything online either. When I went to bed he was fine. I don't know what happened. If anyone has any idea at all I would love the help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: HELP. Something is seriously wrong with my ACF

That, my friend, is a prolapse. What I would do is search for any exotic animal vets in your area to fix the problem, as it is typically caused by trying to pass too large or too hard stools. For now, try using a sugar water bath as quoted by a very reliable article:
    Prolapse is a condition in which the frogs' intestines are coming out of his cloaca. Sometimes they appear as gell-like blobs, some of these "blobs" contain blood vessels, (or not) which only means more of his intestines are out than when we have a hemmoroid situation. They can also be red jelly-like protrusions. The frog can have this happen to them like we do, straining to poop causes hemmoroids in humans, which is a little piece of the inside of your anal-wall protruding outside the body! Impaction can also be a factor. Parasites can also be an underlying cause of prolapse, so having a fecal examination done by a good herp vet is a good idea if this continues.Move the affected frog to the Hospital tank. Now make him a sugar-water bath, using 1/2 teaspoon sugar to 1/2 cup room temperature spring water. Mix it well. Place the frog in the bath. Leave him undisturbed for a couple of hours. Then look to see whether this has worked.
    If you suspect it is protozoans, try Pedialite instead. This is the human child's version of electrolytes, or salts. Make a bath in the same way. Follow the same procedure as above. If this does not cause his anal walls to contract and suck in the intestines, the frog will need to see a vet asap.
    Once the prolapse has been stabilized, from now on feed it easy to digest/nutritious foods, such as Canadian night-crawlers, arguably one of the best feeder foods in the hobby. Thank you for reading

Thank you! I'll let you know what happens. Also quick question. What could have caused this? I had been feeding him feeder crickets and worms and there is no gravel or substrate in the tank for him to have eaten.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adivizio View Post
    Thank you! I'll let you know what happens. Also quick question. What could have caused this? I had been feeding him feeder crickets and worms and there is no gravel or substrate in the tank for him to have eaten.
    There can be several issues that can cause a prolapse, typically a stool was too big or too hard for the frog to pass normally, it could be diet as well, I'm not sure how an aquatic frog can handle crickets, try feeding it night-crawlers which are much more nutritionally beneficial, and easier for it to eat and digest. The other cause may be parasites, but that can only be determined by you either seeing one, or taking a fresh stool to a vet to examine

Thanks. I'm rather new to aquatic frogs, this is my first and I had read a few places that the feeder crickets were a good option. I had been feeding him the crickets for a few months now and this is the first sign of trouble I've had. Just to be on the safe side I'll switch to night crawlers when I get this resolved. I tried a soak in the sugar solution like you recommended for 2-3 hours and it doesn't appear to have improved. So at this point should I try it again or am I to the point where I need to find a vet? Again thanks for your help.

7. This member thanks adivizio for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would try again, but if you still don't see any improvement, look for a vet to correct the problem. I hope the little guy pulls through!

Thread Information