Thread: I ged a camel cricket to my Pacman baby!

Default I ged a camel cricket to my Pacman baby!

https://youtu.be/j6KCxERlvK8

I found a huge camel cricket and I fed it to my frog.
    I was not sure my frog can eat it, but my baby was heavy greedy frog.lol
    https://vimeo.com/183742675

Im catching most food of my frog in nature because my living place is remote country. But is it safe to my frog? And im thinking to fed a spider to my frog. Actually spiders in my country dont have severe venom(?), can i fed them to my frog?
    Anyway thank you for watching my video~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: I ged a camel cricket to my Pacman baby!

I wouldn't risk feeding wild caught feeders more for the fact that if one of them is heavily diseased or is carrying some kind of parasite it will more then likely pass it to your frog and make him very ill or even may cause death.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If you make sure the insects aren't poisonous and from a safe place where no insecticides are being sprayed it should be ok but there are risks of disease, but in all fairness wild frogs will be eating them. Keeping and breeding frogs in 100% sterile conditions will only make captive populations weak. Some consider sweepings to be a way to ensure a rich diet variety and that it's worth the risks

Nationality
    [Canada]

And the wild frogs that end up eating the ones that are carrying something become sick and more then likely die. The death rate is way higher in wild frogs then frogs in captivity, this is one of the reasons why we try and take endangered species from the wild and try and breed them in captivity. So we can keep them away and safe from these things and other diseases, infections etc, so we can be successful in bringing the numbers back up. And I know I personally love my frogs and from all the time, effort and money I have sank into them IMO why take the chance, all it takes is one bad wild feeder to end it. And no I'm not trying to say that others don't love and take great care of there frogs, I'm just speaking from my point of view. I know there is a lot of other very passionate keepers out there and on the forum that care a whole lot about there little buddies. Like I always say, its your choice not mine.

I thought feeding various insects will may strength immune systems of frog. But after read your writing, yeah captive frogs live longer than wild one... But there are various of reasons.
    Where i live in is really clean region so i never thought the prey insects may be contaminated but i should more be careful. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    And the wild frogs that end up eating the ones that are carrying something become sick and more then likely die. The death rate is way higher in wild frogs then frogs in captivity, this is one of the reasons why we try and take endangered species from the wild and try and breed them in captivity. So we can keep them away and safe from these things and other diseases, infections etc, so we can be successful in bringing the numbers back up. And I know I personally love my frogs and from all the time, effort and money I have sank into them IMO why take the chance, all it takes is one bad wild feeder to end it. And no I'm not trying to say that others don't love and take great care of there frogs, I'm just speaking from my point of view. I know there is a lot of other very passionate keepers out there and on the forum that care a whole lot about there little buddies. Like I always say, its your choice not mine.
    Wild frogs should have a resistance, they always carry something but it doesn't harm them unless stressed and the immune system is then weaker. If we breed endangered species in sterile conditions then put them back in the wild they might not be able to deal. I've never fed sweepings before but I do know that a lot of experts do, especially the old timers to the hobby. Can understand about your view, though and it's something that hobbyists will differ on. Might start a poll about it
    Last edited by jasonm96; September 22nd, 2016 at 02:49 AM.

Thread Information