Thread: Humidity and Misting

Default Humidity and Misting

Hi everyone,

How long can a pacman frog go without having its enclosure misted? If a water bowl is provided, is misting necessary?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Humidity and Misting

Hi, I'm not sure how long they can go with out because I have never tested this and have always kept there humidity levels were they are supposed to be. But if your thinking something like if you were at work/school during the day and humidity went down there shouldn't be any harm done, just mist them when you get home. Even if there is a water bowl yes you still have to mist because sometimes and not all pacmans will use there water bowls, I just seen my ornate in his for the first time last night in about a month and a half. They absorb the water in the substrate so if substrate is moist and humidity is were its supposed to be they don't feel the need to search out water. 60% is the low end of the scale and 80% is the highest you would want it to be, I keep mine at 75%. If it gets to dry they have hard time shedding properly, and if it really dries out the frog may try to estivate and this could not go well if the frog isn't really ready and the conditions aren't right for estivation. I mist 3xs a day, once in the morning, around dinner then once more about an hour before lights out and this seems to work for me. You shouldn't have to mist to much unless you live somewhere its really dry, you want the tank to look moist not soaking wet. If you pick up the substrate and squeeze it and water starts dripping out like crazy this is to wet, you just want the substrate to kind of clump in a ball in your hand but not be dripping tons of water.

Thank you for your reply. It's seriously necessary to mist them 3x a day? What do you do when you go on vacation for 1 week? For my geckos I can leave them with a water bowl and they are more than fine when I return from extended vacations. There's no real risk of them dessicating though since they're reptiles and not amphibians.

EDIT: I tried feeding my pacman dubia frogs today. He would lunge at them only if they ran right in front of him. If I dangled them in front of his mouth he wouldn't go for it. What's worse though is that even though he lunged multiple times, he was never able to catch one. It's almost like he doesn't know how to eat. I would put them right in front of his mouth, they would run and his lunges were such that he kept missing. At one point he got one but then immediately dropped it and let it fall. What does this mean? Might there be something wrong with his mouth or teeth? He wasn't the fattest frog among the ones for sale. He's a pretty small size too. Any advice? Thanks!

Nationality
    [Canada]

I could probably get away with 2, one in the morning and one at night but I don't like it sitting in the 60% percent range for 2 long. The amount of times you mist is really going to depend on what the air quality is like around were you live. If its really dry air you will have to mist and if theres lots of moisture in the air you will have to mist less. The way I solved the problem because it gets very dry here in the winter is a bought a humidifier for the frog room and this helps a lot. It actually has a sensor were you can set it at a desired humidity level and it kicks on if it goes lower then this number, I keep the room at 60%. If you need to go out of town you need have a friend watch them for you or you have to get a mister hooked up to a hygrotherm. For the tongue they are sometimes are very bad at catching food, try to tong feed him and see if he can get them and this way you may be able to see if his tongues extended out. They don't chase food very often unless they are very hungry, they are sit and wait predators.

Thread Information