Thread: help with how to set up a healthy home for my adopted 4 green tree frogs

Nationality
    [Australia]

Default help with how to set up a healthy home for my adopted 4 green tree frogs

Hi , I am in Eastern Australia and i have always wanted to own frogs. Without any time to prepare i was asked to rescue 4 frogs and give them a home as their owner was sick and unable to look after them. i was led to believe that they came with everything and it was all working. well they did come with a home, filter and a heat lamp BUT the heat globe is not working , the filter doesnt work and the terrarium is filthy and had been left in very bad condition. I have tried to clean it as much as possible with water only but think i will try to get a brand new home. So i am a newby to all this but very keen to give these guys a new start in a home that is best for them. Please help me with ... ideal temps that they need? what wattage the globe needs to be for the heat lamp and does it have to be a coloured one or just a white one? The Terrarium was full of crickets that were alive but not eaten as she said she just tipped a heap in every day. How often should they be fed? I believe they are around 2-4 years old. Sorry for all the questions but i would really appreciate some support to help my little guys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: help with how to set up a healthy home for my adopted 4 green tree frogs

I don't know much bit I will give you as much help as I can. I don't own frogs yet but this is what I know. I don't think you have what we call American green frogs I think you have white liped tree frogs since they are common in Australia. The temp should be between 70-75 degrees and should drop to 68 at night.

The humidity ahould be at 70 percent.
    Feed 3 times a week enough crickets that they can eat in 15 minutes.. feed gut loaded crickets if possible, and calcium dusted crickets once a week.
    Lighting they need a uvb light for at least 12 hours a day a night time bulb suitable for reptiles.

Wattage I couldn't tell yell I think it depends on how tall your terrarium is. And if there home is that filthy I would just start over.

I hope this help I don't know everything but this is what I understand and read. And if I'm wrong about what kind of frogs they are the care is still the same..

Good luck jason

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: help with how to set up a healthy home for my adopted 4 green tree frogs

Good advice

but if they're whites tree frogs or white-lipped tee frogs, they'll probably need it just a bit warmer than USA tree frogs, in the low 80sF or a basking spot maybe around 85F. If you can make sure on what species you have, you can find their care in good books. Make sure to use a multivitamin as well. All supplements are different so use as often as the manufacturers recommend. Use at least a 5% UVB if you're offering it, since the mesh makes 2% ineffective. For 4 I would be using a 24 x 18 x 24" or larger Exo Terra or an aquarium of similar size with good ventilation

Thread Information