Thread: Where the heck to buy a Grey Tree Frog?

Default Where the heck to buy a Grey Tree Frog?

Hello,

My boy, Brutus, is all alone in his lovely planted 18x18x24 vivarium. I'm trying to find a female, but naturally no one seems to sell them! It's a real shame to me that they're not more present in the pet trade because I love their look and laid-back attitude. I ideally want a captive bred female on the green side of the spectrum (since Brutus stays more grey).

I just can't seem to find these guys anywhere, though. I'm hesitant to do business with backwater reptiles since they tend to have fairly concerning reviews, and I'm not having any luck on other amphibian websites or at Ebay/Craigslist/Reptile shows etc since these guys are native here (I'm located in MA).

Can anyone recommend a reputable seller of these guys, or someone doing breeding of them themselves?

P.S. I'd like to attach a picture of Brutus but I'm unable to? What are the rules here for posting pictures? It's formatted as a jpg and smaller than the filesize/image size cap but it's still saying it's not valid.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Where the heck to buy a Grey Tree Frog?

I don't know where you might find one, but if you're planning on breeding them, here's a head up - gray tree frogs (h. versicolor) and cope's gray tree frogs (h. chrysoscelis) are virtually indistinguishable. even their calls, which are different, can depend on humidity an elevation, making them sound the same. only a lab test can tell for sure. if you buy a female that isn't the same species as Brutus, you probably won't get many results on the breeding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Even though it's not technically "captive bred," if you want to guarantee a healthy frog you can look for a breeding pond and collect some fresh eggs or young tadpoles. (Gray treefrog tadpoles are distinctive due to their boxy shape and mottled, red tails.)

There's no such thing as a gray on the "green end of the spectrum." They change color at will, and usually turn grey within minutes of being placed in a vivarium and don't tend to change back. If you want them to be green for a photo op or something, you can put them in a warm, brightly lit container with a light background but this might just cause them to turn a lighter gray. Perhaps a brightly lit vivarium with a light background could also make them turn green.

Thanks both of you for your help. I do know that Eastern Greys and Cope's Greys can't breed together, I just like the visual differences between the males and females. I find that the females, in addition to being larger, are more disc-shaped... which I find rather charming!

I'm also really trying to avoid snatching tadpoles out of the wild as it seems a little ethically "wrong" (even though I know in nature few tads will reach adulthood anyway), but I guess it might be my only option. Also, I know they change color at will (Brutus goes from white to nearly black in minutes, it's nuts!), but I'm definitely of the belief that they have a fair amount of individual variation too (for example, Brutus never turns green, even on white/green backgrounds, he just gets ever so slightly off-white).

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Well, if you collect tadpoles, rear them to froglets, and let most of them go while keeping one or two you've actually helped the population rather than harmed it. (Not that it makes more than a minuscule difference to begin with. For all you know, approaching the pond to collect a few tadpoles scares away some heron or raccoon that would've eaten dozens.)

Taking an adult frog (especially a female who lays thousands of eggs) from the wild is much more harmful than taking tadpoles, and your chances of finding a captive bred specimen are slim.

Thread Information