Thread: Am I off to a good start? Pacman frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Am I off to a good start? Pacman frog

I just got a pacman frog from Petsmart. They’re pretty sure it’s a female. I’ve got her in a 10 gallon tank right now, regular aquarium. I’ve got about an little over 1/2 an inch of moist EcoEarth for the substrate, thicker on one side than the other, not by much but a little bit. I’ve got a Thermometer/Hydrometer, the temperature is about 75 F and the humidity is about 80%. I have a 40 watt Nano ceramic heat emitter for the heat. I currently have the thermometer/Hydrometer about middle of the tank on the opposite side of where the heat is. I’ll be getting another one later today for the other side of the tank. I have a 1/2 log hiding spot about in the middle, and a shallow water dish near it. I put 3 large crickets in with her a few hours ago (when I brought her home), she ate 1 right away, and once was able to get the humidity up a little higher to around 90 she ate another, she may have eaten all of them as I can't find the last one. Is everything okay so far? The temperature isn't rising past 75 so I think I might have to get higher wattage when I get the other Thermometer/ Hydrometer, or is 75 okay for that side of the tank? She's currently burrowed (only slightly though) in the middle. I've spent countlress hours googling information but can't seem to find facts such as: How often should I calcium dust the crickets? What about other vitamins? Any recomendations for what I should feed the crickets to help him get everything she needs? I was going to get her a 20 gallon but everyone said she won’t move a lot so it would be a waste, but shes pretty hoppy so far. Should I get her one as she gets older? -Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Am I off to a good start? Pacman frog

Hi, you want your temps to come up around to the 82f mark. You can have one side at this temp and let the other side be a couple degrees cooler for thermal regulation, then let it drop some at night. 75f is more of a nighttime temp, and you will notice once the temps drops she/he will come out to eat. this is what is natural for them. 80% is the highest your humidity should go, I keep mine at 75%. I find this way when you have to mist that it doesn't skyrocket over 80%, being exposed to anything higher then this for a prolonged time can lead to respritory infections. For the eco earth and dusting it all depends on what age the frog is, as they get older they need less vitamins. You want something that has d3 in to and he also needs a multivitamin but again for the amount we would need to know how old. If its just a baby the amount of ecoearth should be ok this way its easier to monitor him but when he gets older you want to have enough so he can bury himself. Repashy calcium plus has everything in one and is one of the best vitamins IMO.

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Am I off to a good start? Pacman frog

If it is a baby, I've found that a thick layer of foam with water underneath and a cave carved from the same foam works great! It keeps the humidity up without allowing the baby to ingest the substrate. You can also cut a little sunken area to create a pool instead of using a bowl, but that really depends on how often you're willing/able to change the water. (Obviously you don't want it to come in contact with the water if it's full of urine.)

As for the tank size, my older female seems pretty happy in a ten for now. She's closer to medium than large though, so I'm sure you could upgrade eventually. I haven't seen her do a lot of moving all at once, but she does seem to occasionally pull out and hop around a bit in the evenings. So I don't think the extra space hurts if you wanna provide it. Though some artificial plant cover would probably be appreciated if you do!

6. This member thanks hisk for this post:

Thread Information