Thread: crickets in the enclosure

Nationality
    [United States]

Default crickets in the enclosure

I hope I'm posting this in the fight place. I usually put 5-7 crickets into our frog tank every day and Betty typically eats them within 24hrs. yesterday I found that there are at least 20 baby crickets chilling in her tank now. is this something I should watch for all the time? other then feeding with forceps is there a way to prevent the crickets from laying eggs in the coco fiber? or maybe its nothing to be concerned with at all? I'm considering trying to trap the little crickets to move them into a separate cricket keeper. Any advice is appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: crickets in the enclosure

Hi, ya you want to take the baby crickets out. They will be hungry and if they don't have anything to eat they will more then likely eventually bite your frog. I would either feed with forceps or put the crickets in and watch to make sure he eats them. my guys don't really bother with crickets anymore but when they did I never left them in there for more then hour. If there was some left I would catch them and give him the rest by tongs and if he didn't want it obviously he weren't hungry anymore and I would just take it out. You may also want to change out his substrate in case theres more eggs in there.

Nationality
    [United States]

thanks! I put an orange cricket cube in there, I'm hoping to catch them and try to grow them. could be fun for my kids. what do your frogs eat? weve only had betty for 2 months shes probably 3x the size she was when we bought her.

Nationality
    [Canada]

There main staple is Canadian nightcrawlers, my cranwellis wont eat crickets anymore but my ornate will so I give crickets every once in awhile to change it up. And then every couple weeks i will treat them hornworms, silk worms, waxworms or butter worms, what ever is available at the store at the time. And no I don't give them all those at once, they get one or other. And 2 are adult and 1 sub adult so every few months I will give them a pre killed fuzzy and when they were small I would give pinkies every once awhile.

Thread Information