Thread: Whites gone bonkers

Turbo Stu

Default Whites gone bonkers

Hi all

I have had my 2 Whites for about 9 months now and have raised them from frogglets. 1 is very alert, pounces on his food before it even hits the floor and will eat until he explodes, the other likes to watch his food and then attack.

So for the past week now the more laid back one only seems interested in feeding every other day or so and is going bonkers running up the doors of the viv and pawing at the mesh top like he wants out. Do they usually flip out from time to time or is he/she trying to tell me something?

Nothing has changed with regards their temps/humidity/feeding time etc. He sleeps in his usual place and is not looking any different

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Skulldroog

Default Re: Whites gone bonkers

Could quite possibly be a mid-life crisis?

I have a crazy White's and a laid-back White's. Turns out that my crazy one started showing this behavior. So I started taking him out of the tank when he did that. It was always at night. I would take him out, he would calculate where to jump to, jump, I'd grab him, he would calculate where to jump to, jump, I'd catch, etc. Sometimes I would just open the tank door and let him jump out. After a few minutes, I would put him back in the tank, and he wouldn't do that anymore.

Maybe try taking him out of the cage for a few minutes?

Turbo Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Skulldroog View Post
    Could quite possibly be a mid-life crisis?
    Dont know about him having one but he is driving me to an early crisis

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    I have a crazy White's and a laid-back White's. Turns out that my crazy one started showing this behavior. So I started taking him out of the tank when he did that. It was always at night. I would take him out, he would calculate where to jump to, jump, I'd grab him, he would calculate where to jump to, jump, I'd catch, etc. Sometimes I would just open the tank door and let him jump out. After a few minutes, I would put him back in the tank, and he wouldn't do that anymore.

Maybe try taking him out of the cage for a few minutes?
    I guess maybe once he has seen that theres not much of interest outside he will want back in pretty quick
    One of the Golden tree frogs got out the other week when i was moving some stuff about. The most stressful 10 minutes chasing him round the lounge i have experienced lol

Wow the topic creator just described my two young ones perfectly.

As for taking them out to calm them down... that worked for my younger ones but when they get older that may no longer satiate them and you MAY actually require a bigger tank. Though, I can't be sure as you didn't post your tank's measurements. (And individual frogs may react to things differently. )

Turbo Stu

The tank is an Exo Terra 45cmx45cmx60cm
    They have plenty of branches and plants to climb up and had been content up until a week or so ago.

Now the other one has seen the new game he has joined in too. They throw themselves from the branches onto the windows with a thud then run about up and down them pawing at the mesh on top. Then they fall off as they are leaning over so much. Then the game begins again

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Stu View Post
    The tank is an Exo Terra 45cmx45cmx60cm
    They have plenty of branches and plants to climb up and had been content up until a week or so ago.

Now the other one has seen the new game he has joined in too. They throw themselves from the branches onto the windows with a thud then run about up and down them pawing at the mesh on top. Then they fall off as they are leaning over so much. Then the game begins again
    What you described is exactly what my crazy one loves to do each night.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That size enclosure is great for them. Your frogs sound like a real couple of rascal's.

into

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Stu View Post
    Hi all

going bonkers running up the doors of the viv and pawing at the mesh top like he wants out. Do they usually flip out from time to time or is he/she trying to tell me something?
    My youngest does this a lot. He's the only one. My large female USED to do that and when I first got her she actually broke through the screen on her old encloser a couple times. She finally gave up trying to escape.

I have found that they have a predetermined location they want to be at. If I take my female out, she always heads for the window. My oldest male (dumper) always heads for my girlfreind (she hates it) or under the bed ...and my youngest (scooter) always wants to go under the fridge.

Turbo Stu

Well we had a move around of vivs and cleared out the 60x45x60cm viv we were using for the Goldens and rehoused the Whites into it. No more bonkers frogs

They seem to really be enjoying their new home and not trying to escape. Eating back to normal and plenty of action whilst they explore and hunt. Some pretty impressive high dives aswell from the top branches into their pond

Now to hopefully pick up some Waxy Monkeys on Sunday at an Expo in London

meeper

Interesting... I didn't know pawing at the top of the enclosure was normal or common behavior for a tree frog. My girlfriend's peacock tree frog just started doing this tonight, and we are both concerned because he hasn't done this in the year+ that she has had him.

I hope he's just feeling frisky too :/

charlamanda

Mine too! They seem to decide every once and a while that it's time to have an outburst. They focus on where they want to go and will try over and over and over again, until they have banged and dropped many times, then seem to decide they are done or brain dead one of the two. Seems to happen for no reason and some do this more than others.

Thread Information