Thread: Recommended diet for pacman

Default Recommended diet for pacman

I currently feed my frog a diet of mostly gut loaded cricket dusted with calcium. I will throw in a pinkie or a small toad every once in a while. Does this seem like a healthy diet for a pacman? What do y'all mostly feed your frogs?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Recommended diet for pacman

I have a pixie frog, very similar

It's fed crickets, locust, roaches, nightcrawlers, earthworms and pink mice. I never use one too often. Remember that you also need a multivitamin supplement which provides D3. I wouldn't feed toads, they will probably either give parasites to your frog or poison it

4. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Crickets aren't that bad if gut loaded but not much nutrition if not. If you can Canadian nightcrawlers these would be a better staple or even some roaches if you can get them. The pinkies should only be fed once a month as a treat. Were are you getting these toads from? if wild caught I would stop doing it or there is a great chance one of those toads will pass something to your frog and make him very sick. I don't have as big as a variety were I live as some other places but this what I feed. As a baby crickets are the staple till they are big enough to eat nightcrawlers then these become the staple. I throw in pinkies as babies every once in awhile and now there bigger they get a small fuzzy a few times a year. ( I feed pre killed to prevent injuries to frogs from the mice fighting back.) AS treats every couple weeks I will give wax worms, hornworms, butterworms or silkworms, which ever is at the store at the time. My 2 crawellis stoped eating crickets all together after a certain point and my Ornate will only ever once in awhile. That's what I feed mine, we cant dubias or locust in Canada but if I could I would throw those in there 2. Variety is the key.

6. This member thanks monster for this post:

I feed my a dusted pinkie once a week cuz hes a baby haha is that cool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Like has been said, variety is key, as some feeders may lack certain nutritional values where some excel. Try feeding a mixture of gut-loaded crickets, Dubia roaches, (Despite being "roaches" this species is a staple in the pet trade, and rightly so as it is fairly nutritious) Canadian night-crawlers, (The personal best on the list, they're easy to get, easy to feed, and also serve as a mini tank cleaner) and finally, grasshopper/locust species. You can occasionally feed foods like wax-worms, meal-worms, super-worms, ect but not too often as wax-worms are high in fat, and meal-worms/super-worms are hard for them to digest because of the shells. Pinky mice, should also be fed occasionally, because they are high in fat as well, and most amphibians can't digest bones very well. Here's an article that is perfectly applicable in this situation: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

Thread Information