Thread: Help With Nutritional Deficiency / Illness?

Default Help With Nutritional Deficiency / Illness?

Hello all!
    I've had clawed frogs for 10-ish years now and generally do just fine. However, my current male albino ACF (5yrs) seems to possibly be having trouble. I've noticed a lot of muscle/tissue wastage on his face/cranial area. It just looks "sunken" in that area, especially when compared to my ACF female who does not have this issue.
    I've noticed that he isn't always able to keep food in his mouth once he's grabbed it, but he's still extremely active and behaves normally.
    I've tried varying his diet a bit more recently and he doesn't seem to have as much trouble keeping food (though I suppose that could be coincidence) yet he still has a very sunken look behind the eyes and along the skull.
    Is anyone familiar with this? He's been on Reptomin Mini / Tubifex worms / bloodworms most of his life.
    I'm guessing it's some kind of nutritional deficiency but I suppose it might be an illness I'm not familiar with.
    I'll attach a photo:

Not the most amazing photo ever, but you can see the depressions along the sides of his eyes and along the skull.
    Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help With Nutritional Deficiency / Illness?

Quote Originally Posted by rascalboy View Post
    Hello all!
    I've had clawed frogs for 10-ish years now and generally do just fine. However, my current male albino ACF (5yrs) seems to possibly be having trouble. I've noticed a lot of muscle/tissue wastage on his face/cranial area. It just looks "sunken" in that area, especially when compared to my ACF female who does not have this issue.
    I've noticed that he isn't always able to keep food in his mouth once he's grabbed it, but he's still extremely active and behaves normally.
    I've tried varying his diet a bit more recently and he doesn't seem to have as much trouble keeping food (though I suppose that could be coincidence) yet he still has a very sunken look behind the eyes and along the skull.
    Is anyone familiar with this? He's been on Reptomin Mini / Tubifex worms / bloodworms most of his life.
    I'm guessing it's some kind of nutritional deficiency but I suppose it might be an illness I'm not familiar with.
    I'll attach a photo:

Not the most amazing photo ever, but you can see the depressions along the sides of his eyes and along the skull.
    Any ideas?
    Is this an african clawed frog (xenopus) or the small dwarf clawed frog (hymenochirus)?

Assuming the much larger clawed frog (can't see the photo, bad link) have you tried introducing live food like earthworms? You can get 18 canadian nightcrawlers at walmart for $3.50.

Dried food like tubifex/bloodworms aren't really nutritionally sound (even the wet/frozen stuff isn't great for adult african clawed frogs)

Eh, it's been giving me trouble trying to attach anything.
    Oh, back in the day "ACF" stood for African clawed frog and "ADF" stood for African dwarf frog. Apparently times have changed lol.
    So yes, this is an african clawed frog. He's never really had much luck with live food. He can't find anything unless I point it out to him (and he's fairly blind due to the albinism) but I suppose I could give it a go again.

I have tried feeder guppies but my ACF didnt seem too interested. They ate them eventually. But I stopped in my local pet store last week to get more only to find they were out stock. One of the employees there suggested I try crickets. Didn't sound like much fun to me but believe me my frogs went crazy over them. I have two females and a male. I brought home one dozen crickets. They were gone within an hour.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thread Information