Previous experience 2 goldfish!
    Purchased
    120L tank
    External fluval rated for 200L tank
    3 large leaf plants
    1 ornament
    gravel 3mm
    awaiting wood from holding tank
    awaiting filter from holding tank(for bacteria cross)
    awaiting 5l of old water from holding tank

My missus and I walked into a pet shop on a whim and noticed this lovely 10yrld ACF albino frog swimming under water, he looked lovely and we
    instantly fell for him, talking to the shop owner he said male froggy was left with them as previous owner went over/sea's.
    Now am not kidding this 10yrld male in a bare tank with simple filtration system gave us so much joy watching him do superman moves
    we instantly said we would adopt.

Now! here's the problem I am not naive I understand anything from another country req's care and attention, we promptly purchased a 120L tank
    which required a tile lighting system due to the setup, tank was open topped but now being modded to enclosed!
    I added an external fluval rated for 200L and currently feeding plants on liquid nitro and primes been added & bacteria
    We planted 3 really hardy plants and a big non sharp ornament, we purchased small gravel despite my concerns the shop owner said the frog was
    kept same gravel type, he also stated previous owner fed frog on blood worms and shrimp (READ)bloodworms may cause bloat so am confused,

we are picking up frog in 4 days tanks only had 4 days cycle with prime and 3 day's bacteria in a btl... please offer more advice thx
    I looked the care sheet ,although very useful does not cover things like water change and is 2 thermos req to bring new water to temp,
    also feedings amount, some say let them gorge for 10 mins others say there bellies are so tiny restrict foods especially dry .
    Last edited by craig121; August 10th, 2016 at 01:07 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Ok where to start help!

Quote Originally Posted by craig121 View Post
    Hello everybody.
    Previous experience 2 goldfish!
    Purchased
    120L tank
    External fluval rated for 200L tank
    3 large leaf plants
    1 ornament
    gravel 3mm
    awaiting wood from holding tank
    awaiting filter from holding tank(for bacteria cross)
    awaiting 5l of old water from holding tank

My missus and I walked into a pet shop on a whim and noticed this lovely 10yrld ACF albino frog swimming under water, he looked lovely and we
    instantly fell for him, talking to the shop owner he said male froggy was left with them as previous owner went over/sea's.
    Now am not kidding this 10yrld male in a bare tank with simple filtration system gave us so much joy watching him do superman moves
    we instantly said we would adopt.

Now! here's the problem I am not naive I understand anything from another country req's care and attention, we promptly purchased a 120L tank
    which required a tile lighting system due to the setup, tank was open topped but now being modded to enclosed!
    I added an external fluval rated for 200L and currently feeding plants on liquid nitro and primes been added & bacteria
    We planted 3 really hardy plants and a big non sharp ornament, we purchased small gravel despite my concerns the shop owner said the frog was
    kept same gravel type, he also stated previous owner fed frog on blood worms and shrimp (READ)bloodworms may cause bloat so am confused,

we are picking up frog in 4 days tanks only had 4 days cycle with prime and 3 day's bacteria in a btl... please offer more advice thx
    I looked the care sheet ,although very useful does not cover things like water change and is 2 thermos req to bring new water to temp,
    also feedings amount, some say let them gorge for 10 mins others say there bellies are so tiny restrict foods especially dry .
    You'll want to make sure you have a lid without any gaps on your tank because these frogs love to jump, you'll also want to lower the water level a bit too so they have some space between the lid and water to breathe. If you lower the water 4 or 5 inches the frogs probably cannot jump out but honestly I don't know, these frogs are pretty good at escaping aquariums.

I fed my frogs bloodworms when they were young but now that my frogs are full grown I have them on a canadian nightcrawler and reptomin diet and it's worked well for me.

As far as gravel goes, I prefer sand myself. They can swallow gravel, so I've heard, so it may not be optimal.. probably only a huge issue for people that throw food into the tank and let the frogs feed from the bottom. If you tong feed worms it's probably fine.

Last thing is wou want to make sure the temperature is 68F to 72F (20C to 22C in your case). I think clawed frogs are probably fine up to 75F but I'd try to stay under that, probably won't be an issue considering your geographical location.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

ACFs are very cool frogs! I've been keeping them for many years and appreciate the simple design and swimming ability of these frogs. Albino ACFs are usually smaller then the "wild type" found in Africa. With a 120 liter tank, you can probably keep 5 or 6 of them, if you can find them. You would be amazed at how much waste they produce, so your filter would be powerful enough. I feed my frogs a combination of Repto-Min and night crawlers. Michael has given you some great tips. It's best to do 25% water changes each week. Since they are aquatic, water chemistry is all important - prepare the water with a good conditioner, any good quality will do, I use Stress-Coat. They are tough frogs and will resist most diseases. The most common disease is bloating, generally caused by poor husbandry. Believe me, it's better to prevent disease than to treat it. Don't be alarmed at night, you may hear a loud, buzzing sound, that is the call of the male. Females call too and if you get one, you will hear a nice duet. I understand that there are feral populations of clawed frogs in England, Wales and Scotland. Good luck! If you have any questions, post them here. We expect pictures, of course
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Hi Guy's thanks for the quick response & good advice

Gizmo has settled very well into his new enclosure, he very very active loves swimming about, he does his superman move one arm @ his side other way out in front
    yes will post pics and maybe a VID,
    Am still rather concerned of his diet so far, shopkeeper said he was 10 although he's male he still looks smaller than most, he also said his diet consisted of bloodworms and
    shrimp(both frozen).. I tried raptor sticks put plenty in tank so he would smell them & tried rolled up moist pacman balls *removed all food*, never even took a nibble! I want to move to more
    live creature's but unsure where to source, his mouth is rather small so would need to consider this when choosing, I like idea of earth worms but need them to be from good source and preferable tubes free of dirt, any suggestions guys from UK source.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by craig121 View Post
    Hi Guy's thanks for the quick response & good advice

Gizmo has settled very well into his new enclosure, he very very active loves swimming about, he does his superman move one arm @ his side other way out in front
    yes will post pics and maybe a VID,
    Am still rather concerned of his diet so far, shopkeeper said he was 10 although he's male he still looks smaller than most, he also said his diet consisted of bloodworms and
    shrimp(both frozen).. I tried raptor sticks put plenty in tank so he would smell them & tried rolled up moist pacman balls *removed all food*, never even took a nibble! I want to move to more
    live creature's but unsure where to source, his mouth is rather small so would need to consider this when choosing, I like idea of earth worms but need them to be from good source and preferable tubes free of dirt, any suggestions guys from UK source.
    I don't live in the UK but in my yard when I turn over a stone I will see earthworms, if your yard is pesticide free, I say go for it.

Alternatives could be buying fishing bait, just so long as they're not dyed. I've fed my frogs canadian nightcrawlers from the walmart bait fridge for years now without any issues.

Thread Information