Thread: Live Plant Recommendations For 46 Gallon Mix Tank?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Live Plant Recommendations For 46 Gallon Mix Tank?

So my uncle gave me this huge *** 46 Gallon bow fronted aquarium, and before this my 6 buddies (2 White's, 2 American Greens, and 2 Western Grays) were kinda cramped together in this tank under 30 gallons for about a year. But I upgraded tanks to the 46 Gallon and have slowly been trying to optimize this beast! Before you say anything I'm fully aware my tank is 14 Gallons shy of the 10 Gallon per frog "rule", I however don't think -they- are. ;P Mind you this is literally the 2nd biggest tank I've seen in my entire 25 years of life outside of a Zoo, Pet Store, or Hospital/Dentist waiting room or somewhere similar!

Anyways, I'd love to hear recommendations on plants, easy to obtain, cheap, hard to kill! I know of Pothos, Prayer Plants, and Wandering Jews but I feel like I wanna kick it up a notch now, I can't quite get the vivarium thing to work out though so I'm planning to plant everything in the smallest pots it could possibly thrive in, for easy cleaning and maintenance! The contrast of real and fake plants doesn't look too bad so far with the 2 tiny wimpy Pothos!

I'm also open to tank recommendations that aren't "Don't mix!" (I'm completely aware of the risks involved and am confident in what I'm doing!), and "Don't use Spanghum Moss!" (One DID choke while my mom had them but he was super small, and I'm usually awake when they feed so I'll help pull it out of their mouths as often as I can. I also "bacon press" the moss down constantly into the coconut fiber beneath! My big WTF Whitey is really the only one who hunts at the very bottom, the Grays catch the crickets when they start climbing up the floor vine! And Foamy-G is just super graceful!

Some info on my tank setup:

Tank:
    46 Gallon Bow Front, brand or origins unknown! The lid is a makeshift wooden lid, drilled up with holes everywhere in a neat orderly fashion. I modded in a slot for the light to shine through and screened it! Half of the lid is now covered with tinfoil taped at the edges (The side with the Zoo Med 10-20 Gallon heating pad! I'm keeping a close eye on this lid, it may start to rot or fung up once I achieve proper humidity levels! It is wood after all!)
    Front View

Top Left View

Top Right View

Residents:
    Whitey (Male Blue Phase White's Treefrog) - Have had for 2 roughly years! (He's usually brown, he's been this gorgeous the first week I had him and then on and off maybe 4 days in 2 years + half a week last month?)
    Click here to view the original image of 532x946px.

Un-named (Male Blue Phase White's Treefrog) - Have had for a day! (Whitey is also in this picture being his -usual- brown self)Click here to view the original image of 1600x900px.

Launch (Male American Green Treefrog) - Have had for roughly 2 years! (Whitey is in this picture too! Launch is currently looking MUCH more neon and vibrant! Like, he's more vibrant than I've EVER seen him, out of all of them he looks by far the best despite only eating in the feeding bucket since the 3 hour trip home!)

Un-named (Male Western Gray Treefrog) - Have had for almost a year! (Caught him on my buddy's garage along with the deceased Gray!)
    Un-named (Male Western Gray Treefrog) - Have had for 3 weeks! (Gonna let this guy go when I get Big Green my American Green replaced! Not sure where to order for a reasonable price though...)

Un-named) (Female(?) Western Gray Treefrog) - Have had for 3 weeks! (She or he is usually almost ghost white with neon lime green cow spots!)
    Click here to view the original image of 540x960px.

Light Source:
    For a bulb I use a Zoo Med 5.0 Bulb in some generic fish tank fixture.

Water Source:
    I have 3 separate water dishes I treat with Reptisafe (Only fair, 3 separate species, and I feel they're 3x less likely to spread anything to each other! Plus it helps keep humidity up in such a large tank!) One in the very center and one in each back corner! Debating a Zoo Med waterfall to replace the center water dish, I'm willing to fork out $60 if it wont cause mold issues with the splash back! Or diseases! I've learned wet substrate = Red Leg & I've heard recently you want it about as damp as a wrung out washcloth! 3 of the branches in my tank come out to allow for daily (sometimes bi-daily) water changes. The 3rd dish is a PAIN, it cant be taken out without spilling but it can if I pour it into a cup first! I life hacked this issue fairly quick!

Middle Dish

Left Dish

Right Dish (Yeah it got changed right after this!)

Substrate:
    I have a combo of Coconut fiber and Sphangum Moss as substrate I keep about as damp as a wrung out washcloth if even!

Average Temperature/Humidity:
    As far as humidity/temperature go, the temp is fine, humidity is questionable. I don't actually have a gauge yet, I've been relying on a strip that was on the old fish tank I had them in previously... I assume if I'm cold, they're colder and cover their tank! The 10-20 Gallon heating pad and half tinfoiled lid are REALLY helping! Still seems a bit dry though but a little too dry is way better than too wet!

Climbing Stuff:
    About 8 tree branches (One is fat and stubby and totally hollow, its at the top, its everybody's favorite! If they don't sleep in it they sleep behind it! Their next favorite is the big s shaped piece of driftwood located canter in the tank!) The 3 main branches are twined in fake vine!

Foliage:
    For foliage their tank was honestly pretty bare for a year albeit for failed attempts to grow Pothos, Prayer Plants, and Wandering Jews inside. I now have them hooked up with a sturdy floor vine the Grays love to crawl across! And a tree vine wrapped around the top branches so they finally ACTUALLY feel like they're up in a tree! I replanted some skimpy Pothos in some small sour cream containers with Spanghum Moss over the dirt and placed those in the tank to help freshen the air up and bring some more life to the tank! I'm not sure they're mature enough to grow further, but I don't think they're dying either! The pot is convenient cause the plant can be removed for washing and frog waste runoff doesn't kill them off! I want more Prayer Plants and Wandering Jews planted in the same manner! My 2nd tank looked a lot more, "fancy". I feel the 5.0 bulb helps the low light plants thrive! Its why I went with 5.0 over 2.0 (I THINK 2.0 is a thing...)

Background/Sidegrounds:
    I hadn't gotten their tank a background until upgrading to the huge tank, and I recently covered the sides of the tank as well with a mostly black sideground with rocks and branches. The background is of red clay rocks, various foliage, and various branches that actually match their driftwood branch located almost dead center! I wanna eventually upgrade to a 3D background that goes -in- the tank, or a living background of Pothos and or Wandering Jews or something similar!

Other Accessories:
    I had a heating pad but it'd seen better days, I just got it replaced and have the 10-20 Gallon pad stuck on the left side of the tank with an almost perfect hole cut in the sideground!

Diet:
    A steady supply of Calcium fortified crickets! (Flukers Cricket Diet and Cricket Quencher, shake and baked every time in Aqua Culture Calcium & Vitamin D3 Powder!)
    Last edited by Captain Howdy; August 6th, 2016 at 09:02 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Live Plant Recommendations For 46 Gallon Mix Tank?

The people in the Vivariums thread could probably help you better than I could, but don't underestimate the ability of pothos to grow huge as long as its pot is big enough. My two dumpies haven't been able to beat it down and they've tried a lot.

Also, not knowing what's available in your area, you might want to go to a nursery or somewhere and take a look at the houseplants section. Anything that's good in low light and moist soil would probably work. I had some bamboo for a while, but I had to keep cutting it back. I've also found really beautiful Peacock fern that would work for a mossy groundcover, but I had trouble keeping it alive. I've seen vivariums with African Violets in some people's tanks, those are nice.

Thread Information