Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moths for RETF's UK

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Moths for RETF's UK

Hello,

Im thinking of buying some moths for my RETF's to eat from http://www.devonbutterflies.co.uk/ca.../available-now

Can anyone recommend a particular species thats good to use?

Thanks,

KMAC

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Moths for RETF's UK

Those moths ain't really meant as feeders... See how much they cost? And that's for EGGS. First of all, both of those moth species are too big for red eyed tree frogs, especially the death's head hawk moths. (How could you feed such a fantastic creature to your frogs anyway?) Second, if you got eggs, you'd have to rear the caterpillars, which is quite time- consuming (I breed giant silkmoths, and it's a pain in the @$$) and not everyone has the resources to do it. If you can't get wild moths for your frogs, you probably can't get fresh pesticide free foliage either. And both of those species are unsuitable for other reasons- the hawkmoths feed only on plants in the nightshade family, making the caterpillars and adults toxic. Goat moths are members of the family Cossidae, which means they feed on wood, which in turn means the larvae take 3-5 years to develop.

Just stick to crickets, roaches, waxworms and other established feeder insects. If you're paranoid about parasites or whatever from feeding wild insects, breeding moths really isn't worth the hassle.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Cool cool cheers dood I could get wild moths no bother but it is the paranoia they have insecticide etc on them hence the reason I was looking at buying moths but I didn't know which species to get.

I do have the resources in rearing but as I think you say is it really worth it unless your studying that particular moth species

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Dace View Post
    Those moths ain't really meant as feeders... See how much they cost? And that's for EGGS. First of all, both of those moth species are too big for red eyed tree frogs, especially the death's head hawk moths. (How could you feed such a fantastic creature to your frogs anyway?) Second, if you got eggs, you'd have to rear the caterpillars, which is quite time- consuming (I breed giant silkmoths, and it's a pain in the @$$) and not everyone has the resources to do it. If you can't get wild moths for your frogs, you probably can't get fresh pesticide free foliage either. And both of those species are unsuitable for other reasons- the hawkmoths feed only on plants in the nightshade family, making the caterpillars and adults toxic. Goat moths are members of the family Cossidae, which means they feed on wood, which in turn means the larvae take 3-5 years to develop.

Just stick to crickets, roaches, waxworms and other established feeder insects. If you're paranoid about parasites or whatever from feeding wild insects, breeding moths really isn't worth the hassle.
    Dace,

What about raising the wax worms to moth stage and feeding them rather than the caterpillar itself?

Cheers,

KMAC.

6. 2 members thank KMAC for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Moths for RETF's UK

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC View Post
    Dace,

What about raising the wax worms to moth stage and feeding them rather than the caterpillar itself?

Cheers,

KMAC.
    Wax moths are the easiest believe me, I get 100 Wax Worms and around 79 turn into moths. You need warm temperatures like 84 and up probably no higher than 90 and if you want big moths get Frosted Flakes, put honey on them don't leave any honey sit, make sure it's all on the flakes and put the wax worms in. I've been getting moths for over a year now. Wax moths are cool and can be very healthy for your frogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Excellent, what type of container do you keep the moths and the caterpillars in?

Do you use a netted enclosure for the moths or just a tub?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You can use a plastic jar, something small enough that you can see the worms becoming moths. You want something small because it's difficult to catch the moths so I usually open the lid and shut my tank screen so the moths fly out and the tree frogs nab them up.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Cool got some tall skinny glass jars with metal lids.

Ive just ordered 250. I dont think ill feed the caterpillar or if I do treat only. Moth wise ill feed more of these along with the staple

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I use Crickets and Wax Worms as my main food sources along with Earthworms for my Leopard Frog. My Amphibs all love Wax Worms. So even if you use the grubs, the frogs will still enjoy them.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Its the fat content of the grubs that stopping me from feeding as a staple. I use small dubia roaches as my staple. So mibi ill feed the grubs once every 2 weeks or a week max. They will be good source of fat for under weight frogs. Regarding tbe food for them I get your drift on frosted flakes and cereals. What im going to try is the pro rep bug grub mixed in with some honey ill then pat it in to small shallow trays so they can get access to it easily plus cleaning out will be easier than just covering the hole base. Ill break up some egg crates. Think that will be ok?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

During the winter for my Leopard Frog and Toad I use the grubs to keep the fat up for them, Medium Crickets are my main source for these guys at all times, but they get an additional variety with Wax Worms. I think the moths are healthier and they fly so I use the moths for my tree frogs with large crickets. I think you will notice how far the grubs will get, that will work, just remember they need to be kept warm in order to transform.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Well what I was thinking is putting 20 grubs in each jar below letting them transform and then the other 150 into a tub similar to what I house my roaches in kept cooler for a couple for each frog added weekly.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That should work, the 20 each will be interesting. I'm curious to see how that works.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Im thinking they could lay quite a few eggs each so oncce moths, ill then move grubs into feeder pen and repeat process

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Well I feel sheepish...

I got the 250 wax worms today.
    I like getting decent tubs as I keep them or the lids as food dishes.

But when I went to make a latte I came back to find my sons Winnie the Pooh sharing an interest in them!

Who said teddy bears dont come alive?

Im just about to call my local bee keeper to see if they have any spare bees wax in its natural form and ill use egg crates till I get some.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

So what do you think of this mix for wax worms?

Cornflakes

Cheap wetabix

Prorep bug grub

Hamster food

All this mixed with honey....

The final dish, wax worm food....

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Wax moth larvae have also been known to feed on dried figs. So perhaps honey isn't absolutely necessary, just something sugary.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

We talking glucose or cane sugars?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I think we have 2 benefits of honey. 1 these guys can be found in bees nests but the honey coats the food preserving it longer

22. This member thanks KMAC for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

These larvae are flown into honey bee homes and are dropped right in with the rest of the bee larvae. It's the most natural food for them. Not to say other methods won't work though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information