Thread: A few questions about my new FBTs

Default A few questions about my new FBTs

What causes them to change colors? At the pet store one was olive green and one was dark, almost black. By the time we put them in the tank at home they were bright green.

I was in a hurry to get their tank set up and I didn't have enough gravel to make the land side as high as I wanted. I thought it would be ok...it's not. The water level went up into the coco substrate a little. There's moss on top so it's not super wet, just damp. The main concern is the water has turned brown. I'm guessing from some substrate washing into to it. You can see clearly through the water, it's just brown like tea colored. Is it ok for now? Or does it need to be change asap?

We forgot to buy a test kit for the water. I can pick one up Monday but will the frogs get out of the water if it's "bad"? They've been loving the water so far and I've been taking that as a good sign.

Also, I'd really love to put real plants in eventually but I know nothing about them. Does anyone have any easy plants that could live in the "dry" side? I'd like something on the wet side too but the only substrate I have over there are large turtle pebbles so I don't know if anything would work.

I think that's all my questions right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: A few questions about my new FBTs

One more question I thought of... When you clean your tank do you take the frogs out and move them? Doesn't that stress them out? I was hoping to just kind of work around them. It seems stressful to catch them and move them once a week or so.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lily00 View Post
    What causes them to change colors? At the pet store one was olive green and one was dark, almost black. By the time we put them in the tank at home they were bright green.
    I've never seen any answer about the color change for their back skin that is a scientific or researched answer. But my second FBT (B. orientalis) came from the pet store very dark. You could barely make out the black spots on him. However he lightened up some after I put him with the other, though he was still very dark. Back then I was using tap water that I'd let sit a few days to de-chlorinate itself. I decided tap water in my area was too alkaline for them and then began using distilled water which is neutral pH or spring water which tends to be very slightly acidic. His green brightened up in color even more. Then earlier this year I changed the fluorescent tube to one that I knew let through more UVb and he still got brighter and more healthier looking.

The interesting thing is that my first FBT has always been a very bright, healthy looking green..... so go figure.

You can see clearly through the water, it's just brown like tea colored. Is it ok for now? Or does it need to be change asap?
    Probably okay. However if the substrate stay to damp you might have other issues such as rotting, strong moldy smells and such. Did you put a piece of screen or landscape cloth between your substrate and gravel? Even a piece of old polyester fabric will work to keep the substrate from mixing with the gravel.

Usually you build the viv first and give your plants and water time to establish themselves, but I realize you were not given that chance.

We forgot to buy a test kit for the water. I can pick one up Monday but will the frogs get out of the water if it's "bad"? They've been loving the water so far and I've been taking that as a good sign.
    Not a biggy, they are resilient enough to handle bad conditions on a temporary basis. But be sure to check the alkalinity/pH of the water you are using. I find a lot of municipal water supplies in my area tend to be very high pH. If you are only using a gallon or two of water, then you can buy that cheap enough at the store. For larger amounts, you'll have to weigh the cost of buying chemicals over store bought water. Personally, I'd rather not have to mess with the chemicals.

Knowing that the pH of my water source is consistent, I pretty much only test ammonia and nitrate/nitrite levels. Those are what quickly will make your FBT's unhealthy. When I see mine spending more time on land than water, then I can be pretty sure the ammonia is getting high.

Also, I'd really love to put real plants in eventually but I know nothing about them. Does anyone have any easy plants that could live in the "dry" side? I'd like something on the wet side too but the only substrate I have over there are large turtle pebbles so I don't know if anything would work.
    Almost anything that likes the amount of light you have available. I've used pothos, sweet potato, bromeliad and I even have pushed the top end of some carrots I cut up for my salad one day into the moist substrate and they've sprouted.

Some worry about plants being poisonous, but IMO, FBT's don't eat plants. So I don't see a problem. Some might point out that crickets do, but the crickets are not going to eat a deadly dose before being eaten themselves. Again IMO.

One more question I thought of... When you clean your tank do you take the frogs out and move them? Doesn't that stress them out? I was hoping to just kind of work around them. It seems stressful to catch them and move them once a week or so.
    I leave mine in the tank for water changes. But if your water changing method is noisy and violent, you might take them out.

Thank you so much. You're always helpful.

I did end up redoing it this morning. The water was just getting too dirty looking and made me nervous. I put more gravel in to raise it up some more and hopefully it will work better now.

I really want want to try live plants. The ones at the pet store just said "aquatic" or "tropical" so I guess I'll have to look them up so I'll know what I'm getting.

I took them out when I redid the tank today since I completely took everything out. It was scary catching them! They are slippery little things. I put them in large critter keeper with a little moss to hide in...they were more interested in climbing the walls though.
    I'll post some pictures.

Ignore the water stains! I scrubbed them with vinegar but couldn't get them completely off. I also need to get some sort of background to make it look better.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Looks nice. Next time you clean the water area if your doing the siphoning method Privet01 mentioned you would be ok to leave the little buggers in there. You could shoo them up to the land or even if they stay in the water they would be ok. Before I rehomed my 4 to my nephew I did the siphoning method and they always just stayed in the water and chilled, even if you were scooping it out with a little cup or something they would fine. I know what you mean about them being hard to catch, and when you do catch them your afraid to squish or hurt the little guys. And I hope you enjoy them, somedays I miss mine. They can be quite entertaining.

10. This member thanks monster for this post:

Yes, that's exactly it! I was scared to hold them too tightly but they kept slipping right out of my hand.
    I will definitely be leaving them in when I'm just changing the water.

I actually tried the siphoning thing with some aquarium tubing and it worked well.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Nice wee set up there, i would get a very small external filter like this to keep water turning if you dont already have 1.

I got a second hand 1 for about a fiver.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Jealous of your set up, it looks awesome! Your firebellies will be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC View Post
    Nice wee set up there, i would get a very small external filter like this to keep water turning if you dont already have 1.

I got a second hand 1 for about a fiver.

Thanks! I've been wondering a filter. I'd like something to keep the water fresher but at the same time it's small in there so I'm worried about bothering the frogs with too much movement.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Jealous of your set up, it looks awesome! Your firebellies will be happy!
    Thank you! I hope they like it. They were in a tank with a small water dish and several other frogs so hopefully they look at it as an improvement. They are nearly always in the water.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

You will be ok with a small 1, here is a better view of mine and the outflow. I didnt add any mechanical sponge only biological media as I had some seachem matrix to spair.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

It looks like a very nice simple setup. It should be easy to maintain. I can't tell from the pic's though if there is a place for them to hide, such as a cave or overhang. Mine seem to like the cave I placed in the shallow part of the water. The gravel under it is shaped to allow them to be in the water or out of the water while still being in their hideout.

Quote Originally Posted by privet01 View Post
    It looks like a very nice simple setup. It should be easy to maintain. I can't tell from the pic's though if there is a place for them to hide, such as a cave or overhang. Mine seem to like the cave I placed in the shallow part of the water. The gravel under it is shaped to allow them to be in the water or out of the water while still being in their hideout.
    There's not really. I have a wooden hide cave thing but it took up so much space that I didn't use it. They can hide under the fake plants and behind the driftwood but they haven't really. I wonder if I can try to figure out a way to make something better. I might go ahead and stick the hide thing in there..but it will take up the whole land side.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

You don't have to be in a hurry to make things perfect.... vivs can be a slowly evolving thing. As long as they have clean water and food, they'll be fine.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Exactly watch starwars learn patience and of course the force.

21. This member thanks KMAC for this post:

Neat setup. Don't worry about the water movement bothering them unless it's very strong. They don't mind it and movement/filter will keep it clean. Just look for a small nano filter that is completely submerged.

One thing to note, you will get alot of detritus buildup among those large stones that will not siphon out easily. You will need to move them on occasion to get down in between and sucks it all up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thread Information