Thread: Help! Baby Pacmans won't eat

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help! Baby Pacmans won't eat

One week ago I aquired 8 baby pacman frogs. FIve of the frogs eat no problem but the other 3 have not eaten since they arrived. The trouble in enclosure list will be filled out below, information is the same for all three frogs. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    1. Size of enclosure = 5 gal
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences = 1 single frog
    3. Humidity = 80% ish
    4. Temperature = high 70s low 80s at day low 70s at night
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish = tap with aquarium conditioner
    6. Materials used for substrate = coco fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. = live pothos (thoroughly cleaned entire plant including roots before planting)
    8. Main food source = crickets and cut up nightcrawlers have been offered via tongs and frogs have been placed in smaller, dark enclosure with food
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) = none but will be 2 or 3 times weekly once eating
    10. Lighting = ambient
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure = UTH on side of tank
    12. When is the last time he/she ate = unknown
    13. Have you found poop lately = no
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) = unable to take pic at this time
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. = no physical changes thus far. Frogs stay burrowed and turn away from food/close eyes/bat away with arms when food is offered.
    16. How old is the frog = couple of weeks slightly smaller than half dollar
    17. How long have you owned him/her = 1 week
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred = CB
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats = crickets and night crawlers
    20. How often the frog is handled = only when moving to smaller feeding enclosure with gloves
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area = low
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)
    = water changed daily. misting 3 times per day

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help! Baby Pacmans won't eat

Everything seems good. Probably just taking longer to adjust. I'm not sure if 3 sides are covered or not. I would just doing that if not done already. You may have to force feed, but I would wait it out. Toss a few crickets in and leave the room for awhile. Maybe they're shy eaters. Are these cranwelli's, cornuta's, or what? I'm assuming not a ornate as they eat almost like a pyxie.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pyru View Post
    Everything seems good. Probably just taking longer to adjust. I'm not sure if 3 sides are covered or not. I would just doing that if not done already. You may have to force feed, but I would wait it out. Toss a few crickets in and leave the room for awhile. Maybe they're shy eaters. Are these cranwelli's, cornuta's, or what? I'm assuming not a ornate as they eat almost like a pyxie.
    They are cranwelli. Three sides are not covered but I will do that immediately. How long would you wait before force feeding?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They'll usually go off food if not kept warm enough. I wouldn't recommend the heat mat on the side, they don't really work well this way for horned frogs because the frog would rather burrow in the soil during the day than surface to get heated. They're actually more effective on the bottom and despite the claims of others, they are perfectly safe used this way if thermostat-controlled and set up correctly. I would say heat from above with a ceramic heat emitter but you have 8 and this may be a bit of hassle. Heating the room with a oil filled radiator would be a good choice, if possible. Also, misting 3 times a day is excessive because they don't need that high of humidity, a good rule is to keep the substrate on the moist side, but not wet

Thread Information