Thread: pacman setup problems..

Nationality
    [United States]

Default pacman setup problems..

Okay my son got a pacman frog at the same time as i got the pixie. The pacman is in a 5 gallon(the frogs about the size of quarter maybe a bit bigger).
    2 inches of Coco fiber, water dish, and a heat pad on one side(not the bottom) of the tank with a rheostat hooked up..Ive temped the pad at 85 but the over all cage is sitting around 73 with the top off (the substrate became waterlogged so i thought it needed to dry up a bit)..I havent temped it with the lid on yet but cant imagine it will be that much warmer.
    What can i use to warm up the tank a bit without over heating? He is an albino so I thought a light might be too much for him, plus its such a small tank having a gradient seems impossible.
    I can move him to a ten(our ten has crickets in it), but he basically sits in one spot. He has been eating, thats another question, how many crickets should he be eating a day?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: pacman setup problems..

Hi, yes heat matts on the side aren't the greatest. Putting the top on though will help with heat and keeping humidity in. For the heat you could use a ceramic heat emitter or a red bulb hooked up to that rheostat you have, and you shouldn't need much more then 40-50 watts. You could keep the uth on the side for night time heat and if you put the lid on and cover even half with tinfoil it will bring the night time temps up to around 75f to 76f. If you can get your hands on one of those zoo med fixtures that you can put 2 bulbs in you could use the ceramic for daytime heat and a low wattage LED bulb for daylight. I have an albino and I use a little 5 watt led from Walmart and it doesn't bother her. Even just 2 single domes would be fine, the ceramic would be the only thing that would need to be hooked up to the rheostat because the led is just for light and the temps the uth on the side is giving off is good for at night. When placing your heat source on top though you want to put it off to one side so theres a temp gradient through out the tank so he can go to a cooler spot if need be. When it comes to the crickets being a baby feed him what ever he will eat in about 10 mins, some people use a 15 minute rule but some of these pacmans will just keeping eating if you let them so I do 10. Looking back at your post the 2 domes or 2 in 1 wont fit properly over the 5 gallon more then likely so what you could do is place the 5 gallon inside the 10 gallon or just put him in the 10. If you just put him in the ten I personally would divide it in half with something and as he grows you can move the divider to give him more room, I did this with all mine and they were fine. The reason I suggest this is if hes gotten used to the 5 the 10 may be overwhelming for him at first. And if you do go the 10 gallon route if he doesn't eat for a night or 2 don't stress yourself out, this usually happens after a move and its just them getting comfortable with there new surroundings. And your humidity would be good around 75%.

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Cory. I didnt think they made CHE in such low wattages, I will look for one that fits the ten.
    About feeding. He still wont eat in front of us so we've been putting in three crickets at night and they are usually gone in the morning.I want to teach him to eat off tongs but he wont so far. My pixie on the other hand is eating like a pig off the tongs.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi again, if he/she is eating a few crickets everynight and its only the size of quarter that's ok. If you wanted you could up it to 4 or 5 crickets. If your using 2 different supplements you want to do calcium and d3 2xs a week and a multivitamin 1x a week, but don't do both on the same night. If you want a good brand of vitamin try to find Repashy Calcium Plus, this is actually designed to give at every feeding and has everything in one. I didn't think they carried CHE in that low of wattage either but I found a 40 watt in Big Als fish store. For the tongs just keep trying and he will eventually come around, if you can get the food close enough to him with the tongs try rubbing under his bottom lip with the cricket. this usually gets a reaction.

May I just say man you are lucky to have gotten one that small where did I you get it my frog was never that picky about eating in front of me but then again he was about the size of my forehand at least he's eating

Thread Information