Thread: Gray tree frog hit by a car!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Gray tree frog hit by a car!!

On Saturday the 9th at 9pm I found a adult female gray tree frog laying in the road.
    I have a pond on the edge of my property only feet from the main road that circles my community lake.
    At first I picked her up to get her out of the road but noticed blood and realized she was injured.
    I've had Gray tree frogs as pets for many years, so I'm fully equipt for anything
    Her right front leg is definitely broken as well as an injury to her right eye, which she won't open. I haven't given her a thorough exam because she initially looked stressed. There was a small amount of blood coming from her right front and back leg and underneath her right side, I suspect a few minor abrasions.
    I think she got clipped by a car and not run over.
    I set up a 20gal temporary tank with paper towels. I also wrapped her with a wet paper towel soaked with treated warm water, pedialyte and honey.
    July 12..she's improving, not moving around much but she's used her broken leg, so I suspect the muscles and nerves are intact. The fracture is closed, but I can clearly see bruising around the fracture and her toes.
    I looked her over a bit more last pm and do not see any open wounds, the small abrasions healed, and she shed the night before last.
    I've treated frogs with eye injuries before, so I'm confident I can take care of that injury....actually she's starting to open her eye and it's looking better
    My concern and question is about the right front leg...should I leave it alone, splint it?
    Any advice would be welcome

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Gray tree frog hit by a car!!

Hello again, I'm sad to say "Bella" although seeming to be improving, for some reason doesn't seem to be doing well
    Her broken leg is healing and the bruising and swelling are gone, her eye is almost completely back to normal, butt she doesn't move it all and she's not eating, otherwise looks completely healthy...IDK what's going on
    I'm contemplating force feeding her and/or dropping in a companion gray to help her "funk"...any ideas or thoughts?
    She's survived a battle with a car and has come so far I'd hate to lose her.
    Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

She's probably still hurting. Could she have some invisible internal injuries? If so she might not make it. Sorry, hopefully it's only an eye and leg problem.

I wouldn't give her a companion, it would probably only cause further stress. Force feeding would be extremely stressful and might damage the already broken limb further, but eventually it might be necessary. Maybe she's having trouble seeing the food or moving to get it. Or she could be scared of you.

I don't know whether it would be a good idea to try a splint. Maybe someone else can tell you.

5. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sorry, haven't seen it before.

good for you! Thank you for trying to save her, that's people like you that make so much difference in a world!

Now. Good news- you did everything right and a frog is improving, do you have sides of the tank covered and the tank self is small enough for a frog don't try to jump? Do you have some decor that would create a hide of sorts?

Splints don't work, but frogs bones heal pretty well on its own. Use melafix ( fish section of pet stores), you just need to dilute it according to instructions on the bottle, it's mild tea tree oil solution. You can use it for spraying instead of water.

Can you please post the pic( you need to use photo hosting website and post link here) to see how everything looks like and if anything else needed. Don't worry about the food just yet. What were you trying to feed and how exactly?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

7. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks a million for your replies.
    Good news....
    I was so concerned I dusted her with a bit of vitamins, to dust crix, and then soaked her again with a honey/ pedialyte mix and I guess it helped cause she's looking soooooooo much better.
    She's moving around the tank at night, not hopping/jumping, but moving about as I'd expect an injured frog would.
    I breed my own crickets and have a few gut loaded 1/2" in the tank (I have found a pile of poop just one that's it) she tried an adult crix on day 1, she must be been hungry, but mudtve been in pain and wouldn't try again or at least I haven't seen her eat.
    I've got plenty of pics but because I'm not using taptalk, or whatever, I can't load my jpegs, but I'll try to work that out.
    Thanks again, pics are coming and I'll check out the pet store for the melafix.

Nationality
    [Canada]

It sounds you are doing everything right, just carry on, I would suggest to dust in reptiboost(reptiaid) instead until she is healed. I'm sure she'll come around soon.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

10. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Thread Information