Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacman Powder Food Diet

Tofuman

Default Pacman Powder Food Diet

Haw anyone else herd of this? I was at the Reptile Super Show in San Diego and they're was a Japanese guy there who was selling a powder food diet for Pacmans. Here's his site: PacmanFood

YouTube - PacmanFood of Samurai-Japan Reptiles

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jeff Boyardee

Thumbs down Re: Pacman Powder Food Diet

I've heard about it on other sites. I haven't heard anything good.

The base for it is fishmeal. Pacman frogs eat insects and other frogs in the wild, so fishmeal can't be a good start.

It also has soy in it. Soy is everywhere these days and most people think it's good for you, but I've seen conflicting reports like this:

"the soybean contains large amounts of antinutrients (toxins). First among them is hemagglutinin, a clot promoting substance that makes red blood cells clump together. Soy is rich in enzyme inhibitors that block the action of much needed enzymes required to digest proteins. These inhibitors are not deactivated during cooking. They can cause gastric distress and chronic deficiencies in amino acid uptake. Protein inhibitors and hemagglutinin are scientifically proven to inhibit growth."

If it makes its way to Canada, I won't be using it. I'll stick to a more "natural" diet for my frogs.

PaulyMolitor

Default Re: Pacman Powder Food Diet

ive looked int0 the powders awhile ago. it has only really been available recently and people have been hating on it but i think its good for those who dont like live bugs, worms, mice etc either handling and/or feeding them to the frog. also no other supplements are needed when giving the powder to pacs. all nutrients and calcuim is provided. the problem i heard from one guy who bought a samurai pac and the powder food is that the pac didnt go for it. i think the powder food is a safer route when you take parasites and other nasty stuff into account that live feeder food could transmit to your frog.

chipcount

I have used it and I think it is convenient. My larger pacs go for it but my little ones (that started off on crickets) seem to be hesitant. I dont use it all the time though and have used it only for about 3 weeks

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Well the video is very good. I think if you could wean the frogs onto it then I don't see the harm. Sure it's not the most natural diet but it's a lot better than feeding with mice, etc. My main misgiving is that pacman frogs are notoriously difficult to convince to change foods.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

BG

Hey guys, i brought this product cause I'm very interested feeding this to my frogs. Does anybody have any updated info,and has any one been using this food for a while now. Thank you in advance for any info.

IvoryReptiles

We did not have any issues with our frogs accepting it at all.
    Please remember though, our frogs are tong fed often enough to know that when they see tongs, it's food.
    We had some froglets who had just metamorphed and were being picky about eating and they accepted it and were just fine after that.
    We also tried using carnivorous fish food pellets and ground them into a powder, added some calcium & vitamin powders and made a dough out of it and it worked just as well.

Good Luck with it, I hope your frog likes it!

Nationality
    [United States]

I just ordered some today to try it out. Might be something to give them as a treat. Actually makes me think that someone is making vegetarian food for frogs. I like mine being a carnivore/insectavore.

BG

Jessica you just took the fish food recipe out of my mouth. We are on the same page. Must be ESP.lol I was thinking of making my own food..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    We did not have any issues with our frogs accepting it at all.
    Please remember though, our frogs are tong fed often enough to know that when they see tongs, it's food.
    We had some froglets who had just metamorphed and were being picky about eating and they accepted it and were just fine after that.
    We also tried using carnivorous fish food pellets and ground them into a powder, added some calcium & vitamin powders and made a dough out of it and it worked just as well.

Good Luck with it, I hope your frog likes it!

BG

I could crush up some dried crickets and roaches in the dough.
    Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Jessica you just took the fish food recipe out of my mouth. We are on the same page. Must be ESP.lol I was thinking of making my own food..lol

Nationality
    [United States]

I could crush up some dried crickets and roaches in the dough.
    Kind of like a recipe for meat pie for Pacmans lol!

IvoryReptiles

LOL......That's why we use the carnivorous fish food.......we have thrown in some dried bloodworms too just for a little extra "meat"!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    LOL......That's why we use the carnivorous fish food.......we have thrown in some dried bloodworms too just for a little extra "meat"!
    Mmmmmmm! High protein. Steroids for Pacmans. Now if you could only get some leg weights and actually get them to be active without food being involed Lol!

BG

Hey guys here's the scoop. I made my own recipe and it worked. The amounts are not important right now since its a proto type. I used some mazzuri turtle food,south American cichlid pellets,dried crickets,vitamins. I grounded the food in to powder.I then add water,and knitted it to a ball. I used the tongs to feed it to the ornate and one of the pixies. They loved it!!! don't forget i fed them today. Only those two ate and loved it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey guys here's the scoop. I made my own recipe and it worked. The amounts are not important right now since its a proto type. I used some mazzuri turtle food,south American cichlid pellets,dried crickets,vitamins. I grounded the food in to powder.I then add water,and knitted it to a ball. I used the tongs to feed it to the ornate and one of the pixies. They loved it!!! don't forget i fed them today. Only those two ate and loved it.
    Quick patent it so it can't be reproduced and sold out from under you. You might just have the next best thing for Pacman owners.

BG

Can you tell us the ingredients in the Japanese food that you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Quick patent it so it can't be reproduced and sold out from under you. You might just have the next best thing for Pacman owners.

Nationality
    [United States]

Can you tell us the ingredients in the Japanese food that you have.
    Ijust ordered today so I won't have it for a few days. I believe there is a lable on the site though that has the ingredients listed. Check it out.Jessica said she used it before. Maybe she can tell you what's actually in it. I hope its all good.

BG

I'm also looking in to freeze dried earth worms ,and silk worms to add in the recipe. Add some freeze dried bugs as well.

BG

The Japanese food is on the pricey side. 18 bucks for 4 oz. delivered.

Nationality
    [United States]

The Japanese food is on the pricey side. 18 bucks for 4 oz. delivered.
    Yeah its as bad as ordering Hornworms. I only ordered the 2 oz package to try it out. Ill probably only give it as a treat once a week. I like what you're getting at withe freeze dried worms and bugs. Silk worms are expensive too though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information