Thread: Gut loading and supplementing

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Gut loading and supplementing

Hi all

I've decided to re-do my gut loading and dusting regime as I look more into it and have got more products. I'm getting a bit obsessed in ensuring that the proper diet is provided, as the more books I have got the more varied info I am getting

I would like to hear some opinions to see if this would be sufficent... Gut loading: Feed 1: Repashy superfood and hydro-load. For the other two feedings (every other day) natural fruit and veg, such as romain lettuce, oranges, squash, potatoes, carrots, red lettuce, etc. Necessary to sprinkle calcium on veg?

Supplementation: Crickets, locust, super worms, earthworms and roaches with Repashy calcium plus at every feed as recommended on the tub and for pink mice they would be dipped in calcium with medium D3. I have heard with pink mice that they lack calcium and have high vitamin A

Species this will be for are African Bull frog (which is taking pinkies and insects and is not kept under UVB), yellow-bellied toads which are provided with UVB and green tree frogs

It would be good to see what many other members way of doing things are and what has worked, please share

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Gut loading and supplementing

I feed my fbt's every two to three days. Crickets on the other hand are fed daily. My schedule for loading up crickets is similar to yours. The bulk of the crickets feed consist of romaine lettuce and kitchen vegetable scraps and unwanted stuff from the garden. The day before feeding to my fbt's I'll throw in some repcal juvenile iguana food which has an analysis similar to your repashy. I've also used dog food which has a similar analysis too. It's the protein content that I'm most interested in.

I don't dust the cricket food. But I do still dust the crickets before feeding though there are some that say fbt's don't get much benefit from dustings of vit. D.

I'm considering throwing in a left over pork chop bone or some other leftover meat and see what they do with that. Crickets are omnivores, so meat is appropriate for them too, I'd think. Again it's the protein content of the meat that I'm interested in getting into the crickets. But the meat will never be more than a small part of the diet as the veggies are where the most nutrition comes from IMO.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

How many crickets do you feed? As I can never seem to get my fire bellys to stay a healthy weight?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If it helps, I feed mine daily to every other day on about 8 crickets per frog. If you have babies or juveniles it is best to feed 1-2 times a day

Nationality
    [United States]

I can't help with the others but the pyxie I can. I would ditch crickets all together if you can their digestive tract makes them inferior unless its your only option. Superworms are also a waste. Dubias are an excellent staple along with earthworms and both are extremely easy to culture. I dust 2x week and vitamins 1x. I also don't feed until its absolutely stuffed like most. I keep my animals on the hungry side. This has worked well over the years for numerous pacmans and pyxies. Crickets, hornworms, etc are just for some diversity or treats. Pinkies are really a waste imho but I do feed live mice once a month. Its my treat to them to get to hunt some bigger prey though really.

Thread Information