Thread: lighting advice, new owner

Nationality
    [United States]

Default lighting advice, new owner

Hi all,
    my family purchased a little pacman with red eyes last week. my daughter was told it was a strawberry pineapple. our tank is located in a room that tends to stay on the dark side so we put a desk lamp next to the tank for a daytime light for now. It has a 60w bulb in it. The frog, Betty, seems to follow a good day/night schedule with feeding and more activity at night. my question I suppose is what are the more acceptable choices for lighting? Tank temps (80) and humidity (65) are great so far just with this desk lamp on. I do want the lighting to be visually pleasing for us since the tank is in a main living area but I also want to make sure I'm using lighting that wont hurt Betty and her red eyes. Thanks in advance for you help, this is my first post here.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: lighting advice, new owner

Hi, you have an albino so any bright lights are a no go its not very good for there eyes like you mentioned. You could probably get away with a low wattage red bulb, I would say maybe a 40 or 50 watt should do. And congrats on the new frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/...psu0hmieep.jpg
    Thought I would try to add a photo .

Nationality
    [United States]

For heat I would use a red 50w bulb. General viewing wise I would use plants for shade and get a very low watt energy saving bulb on a cheap dimmer. Unless your ok with the red hue all the time.

The humidity needs to come up and it stimulates them to come out to feed at night when the temp drops a few degrees.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If it were me I would use a ceramic heat emitter on a pulse thermostat with a day/night setting to allow for a drop in temp at night and a LED light for viewing, this light surely would not hurt

Nationality
    [Canada]

Actually now that I think of it Jason is right, I use an led bulb over my albino for daytime light. I just went and checked and its a small 5 watt daylight LED house bulb I bought for 5 bucks or so at Walmart. she has been like this for over a year with no problems, I have a big plant in one end that makes shade for her and I made almost like a canopy on the other side with the plants that stick to the side.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Actually now that I think of it Jason is right, I use an led bulb over my albino for daytime light. I just went and checked and its a small 5 watt daylight LED house bulb I bought for 5 bucks or so at Walmart. she has been like this for over a year with no problems, I have a big plant in one end that makes shade for her and I made almost like a canopy on the other side with the plants that stick to the side.

Thanks yall! so far we have her totally dark at night and the temp drops to 72, I know in the winter I will need to put a red light or ceramic heater on her. since she is burrowed during the day I could put an LED light over the tank for her daytime without it hurting her eyes. I also bumped up the humidity to 70 and this week I'm gonna get the back and sides of the tank wrapped in background paper and likely partially cover the screen top to keep the humidity up. I have never cared for an animal of this type before and I feel so clueless seems I found much of the same basic information or conflicting information. I really appreciate your help, my kid is 10 and she worked to save up to buy this frog and all its needs. shes enjoying searching the forums too.

Thread Information