Thread: Whites Tree Frog not eating much, please help!

Nationality
    [United States]

Unhappy Whites Tree Frog not eating much, please help!

I have a whites tree frog and have had it for about a year. I believe it's a male, but it's hard to tell. It was eating normally up until a couple months ago, now all of a sudden it doesn't want to eat. I've gotten it to eat 3 small-medium size crickets in a little over a month. It used to eat 9 crickets a week total from feeding it 3 days a week (3 crickets 3 times a week). It's active for the most part... soaks and sheds, moves around every day and all. It seemed to have a problem with pooping, so I started giving it warm water baths once a week. The pooping problem went away as far as I can tell. I don't think it could be impaction, there's nothing in the tank it could ingest besides moss and coconut fiber. There's vines in it's tank, though it doesn't often go on them. It usually stays at the bottom of the tank, either in it's water dish or on the ground. I heard that they get less active as they get older, so I'm not to worried about that (should I be?). I got it as a little tiny one, so I'm pretty sure it's about a year and a half old. I'm worried that it's going to starve itself, which is weird to me because I've read that WTF's can and usually will overeat if you let them. I've tried tong feeding it, I've tried dusting with calcium powder lighter than normal, also tried with no calcium powder (I dust with calcium powder once a week now, it's pooping problem I think had to do with the fact that I was dusting everytime I fed it). I've even tried pulling the legs off the crickets (a friend has a chameleon and had to do that when it got a calcium deficiency and didn't have a lot of energy to move), which I hated doing, but to be honest I'd hate losing my little one more! Also, it spends most of it's time in the water dish... is this normal or too much? It seems to always be shedding, but since it's not eating much I can't imagine it's getting any larger. It's tank temp is anywhere between 70 and 90 degrees (it's in a room upstairs and we have no central air), it's humidity I try to keep between 55%-75%. I do a complete cleaning of the tank once a month, and every 2 weeks I take the moss out and replace it with new so it doesn't get moldy. I don't feed it in it's tank, I like to see that it has in fact eaten (a cricket hid from me once for a whole month, scared the **** out of me when I went to empty the tank out and a cricket comes flying out lol). I have a plastic tank that I feed it in, usually I put the tank in it's normal tank, and it's always been fine with that. Could it be a hunting issue? My boyfriend said maybe he's bored with the crickets. It'll follow the crickets with it's eyes and head, but that's it. It takes it hours to eat one cricket, it used to eat 3 in a half hour. :-\ Help, I don't want my little one to die! :-(

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog not eating much, please help!

You'd probably get more knowledgeable people commenting by posting in the "Tree Frogs" section. Mods, can this be moved?

Some things stick out to me: 90 degrees is a bit high. Consider a fan. Also, sitting in the water dish all the time and appearing to be shedding all the time sounds like a symptom of some kind of skin infection, especially if the shedding is patchy and incomplete. That can be serious because that's how frogs breathe. (Of course it could just be sitting in the bowl all the time because it's hot.) I'd suggest having a vet check it if you have the funds or inclination.

Over in the Tree Frogs section there's a questionnaire for people whose frogs seem sick. It looks like you've answered a lot of questions on it already, but there may be some more that could help people narrow things down.

Thread Information