Thread: RETF color bleached - is this a problem and what may cause this?

Nationality
    [Armenia]

Default RETF color bleached - is this a problem and what may cause this?

Hi everyone.

I have five RETF which I keep since November of last year. They seemed to be doing fine so far, but yesterday I noticed that the color of all the frogs has faded. They all look bleached during the day: grayish skin color with light blue tint. Otherwise than the visual appearance, the frogs seem to be doing fine: they get active after the lights are off, feeding and singing every night after misting.

They live in a vertical terrarium about 14"x13"x24" (LWH) with live plants, temperature in the 77 to 86F range, humidity about 60-80RH. They are mainly on a diet of roaches, gut-loaded with Repashi superload, occasionally supplemented with other insects.

Can anyone please help me to figure out if anything is wrong with my frogs? I can't recall any major changes in my setup recently, except perhaps that it was getting somewhat to the hotter end lately due to weather changes. Any clues, please?

My images are somehow rejected here every time I try to post them directly, so here's a link.

Discolored RETF
    Agalychnis calidryas
    Polypedates otilophus

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: RETF color bleached - is this a problem and what may cause this?

Hello!

What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? It looks to me like you have bright lighting so they are fading out to help camouflage in with the white/clear background. I would venture to guess that if they had more cover and a darker background, they would not be quite as light colored. Mine will do this if they sleep directly under the LED's. Do they darken up at night when they're hunting?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [Armenia]

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? It looks to me like you have bright lighting so they are fading out to help camouflage in with the white/clear background. I would venture to guess that if they had more cover and a darker background, they would not be quite as light colored. Mine will do this if they sleep directly under the LED's. Do they darken up at night when they're hunting?
    Hi Amy,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, what you say makes lots of sense. Well, I must admit that I have upgraded the lights just before this happened, but I neglected this factor. I now have two 8W LED downlights plus a 20W Zilla UVB10 bulb in there. Before, there was only one 7W LED.

There are plenty of hiding places but usually they do not hide and somehow prefer to sleep on the top rim of the front glass. And yes, they darken up when hunting at night.
    Agalychnis calidryas
    Polypedates otilophus

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Nothing to worry about then It's very likely the lighting. I know how that goes with them sleeping though. I have some that sleep on the underside of leaves so that I never see them, and others that sleep on the doors...every day Goofs!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [Armenia]

Oh, thanks a lot, Amy. This is alleviating. I was seriously worried about the color change...
    Agalychnis calidryas
    Polypedates otilophus

Thread Information