Thread: White tree frogs

Default White tree frogs

Help ! I'm having a hard time finding a list of safe mom toxic plants for my white tree frogs terrarium ?? And I also want a morph in the same cage to add color . Could I mix other frogs with mine ???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White tree frogs

Hello and welcome to the frog forum!
    Let's start with the mixing. No, you cannot mix other frogs with your whites. Firstly, white's grow rather large so you would have a predation issue to worry about. Secondly, there are different environmental requirements that make it hard to keep both in the perfect temps and humidity. Luckily, whites do have various morphs (blue, green, snowflake, etc) with which you can choose from and keep in the same vivarium as your whites tree frog.

For plants, I would suggest something very sturdy. Whites can be little porkaroos and do a lot of damage to your plants. Philodendron usually holds up pretty well. I keep dieffenbachia in with my greys and they have yet to destroy it, but the sap is toxic and you have to be careful when you do any pruning. I usually prune mine during the day while the frogs are sleeping and it's plenty healed over by the time they wake up at night. That is probably the most used plant in their vivarium. Aglaonema (chinese evergreen) and calathea are two other plants that hold up pretty well to bigger frogs.

Plant preparation is important too. You want to make sure there is no pesticide or fertilizer residue on them, plus it's good to get rid of any mites or other hitchhikers. I usually rinse mine really well of any dirt and lightly wash the leaves. Then, with anything other than mosses, I dip them in a 1 part bleach 10 parts water solution. Followed by a dip in clean water with extra dechlorinator.

You also want to make sure you have full spectrum lighting to aid in plant health.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Thread Information