Thread: Hi from Montreal.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Hi from Montreal.

Hi I am Luc from Montreal area, I enjoy a lot small living creature photography

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+LucBouf...cky-Luc?tab=mX This winter after a shooting in a

pet store, I got back home with a red eye tree frog of course to take in picture. As like

any creature that I bring home I google it and started a liking in my new little friend. So

I bought a 12” x 12” x 18”, I've never like the look of plastic plant so I started planting

my own vivarium.
    A month later after finishing teaching myself about frog and self echo vivarium, I got a

good price and I've gotten an 18” x 18” x 24”. In that one I started something different.

It seem that mold in terrarium is often present after a few year, so the biggest difference

between the earth and a terrarium was heat from the core and easy oxygenation of the soil.
    I built a 1/2" pipe system in checked pattern, set at the bottom under the rock (gravel),

this is use to get the water out (use a manual pump)and inject hot air when I choose and it

save me from making a hole in my terrarium.
    A second one this time in 7/16 size just under the soil to inject oxygene ( seem to help

plants growth but still have to be check further).
    Now I have two frog(forgot...like it so much I got myself a second one, seem to have 2 female now, it was supposed to be a male but I guess it was a young female.

So if anyone have any idea about my injecting system, please let me know as I am getting soon a new 18"x36"x24" terrarium.

By the way those are the only creature big or small that came in to my place that I did not take in picture.

2. This member thanks Lucky luc for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hi from Montreal.

Hello and welcome to the frog forum! I have red eyed tree frogs and I absolutely adore them! They have big personalities and are so photogenic.

Honestly, it seems like you're overthinking this a bit. I do a drainage layer, either using leca, hydroton or something of the sort, then put a substrate, like abg mix, that can handle a slightly higher humidity. I run an airline tube in the drainage layer and behind the background as I build it and then just siphon the excess water out whenever I need to. Microfauna in the form or isopods and springtails are very helpful because they break down any vivarium waste. I've had tanks run for years with no hint of mold except during the first month, which is normal. You also have to make sure you're hardwoods instead of soft woods to help avoid mold. If I do a water area or water feature, I use the light diffuser egg crate sheets to lift my substrate.

Here is a good thread to give you some more tips - http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=32167
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you Amy, here's a pic of one of my frog.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Beautiful! They are a very rewarding species to keep <3
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

6. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Thread Information