View Poll Results: Do American green tree frogs need UVB lighting?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they need at least some UVB to stay healthy.

3 23.08%
  • No, they are nocturnal so they don't need it.

2 15.38%
  • I don't know.

8 61.54%

Thread: POLL: Do American GTFs (Hyla cinerea) need UVB lighting?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default POLL: Do American GTFs (Hyla cinerea) need UVB lighting?

I will be getting a group of American green tree frogs later this year, and I am curious to know what the general consensus is on this question. Do they require UVB light?

I have kept this species before without UVB, as I was told by several people that nocturnal amphibians do not require it for calcium absorption. But I am thinking of using UVB on my new group, probably for just a couple hours a day. I figure it won't hurt, and might actually be good for them. I have found a variety of conflicting information online.

So what's your opinion? Do they need UVB?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: POLL: Do American GTFs (Hyla cinerea) need UVB lighting?

There's a theory going on now that frogs (Especially tree-frogs, Horned frogs, and African bullfrogs) actually use UVB and some will actively bask under UVB when provided with it. Tree-frogs will get the most UVB though, even if they don't try to bask. Ask Jasonm96 about it, he's very helpful

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, I don't own any tree frogs ( I have horned frogs ) but I will share my opinion from my observations from the ones I see here at the shop. Most the tree frogs I see here in our reptile shop some days will be sitting right out in the open, other days they will be in a shaded part. And this isn't just GTF's, its all the tree frogs he gets. Right now hes got a pair of those flying tree frogs in there and every time I go in they are out sleeping on a leaf right out in the open. I personally think almost all tree frogs will get some sort of uvb at some point of the day or every couple. Now this is what all these vitamins are for but if you can give it to them in a better and more efficient way would it not make sense to give it. So I think even a couple hours day would do more good then harm. As i mentioned i own horned frogs and i will be honest that i don't provide UVB to them but this only because they are never out during the day, 5 minutes after those light go on they disappear under ground not to be seen again till about an hour after lights out. But if i had tree frogs i would give them some sort of uvb, but this only my opinion and I'm no herpetologist.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It's a complicated one. Like cory said, most tree frogs although nocturnal, will remain out in the open during the day, or in the wild will rest on leafs and get direct or reflected UVB. Even if they were to bask in sunlight for a few hours a day or week, this may be enough to get all they need. Tree frogs have been noted to be sensitive to D3 supplements and UVB is considered safer by some keepers, because vitamin D3 is fat soluble, and UVB provided in the right way, the same as they will get in the wild, can be regulated by the frog. They've been kept without, but I keep mine with UVB and give them low D3 supplementation to avoid hypervitamincosis. When it comes to horned frogs, they get a lot of their D3 needs from whole prey food and a varied diet in the wild, so probably dont need UVB, but they may experience decent exposure in the wild, as they do live in savannahs, but on the other hand they burrow during the day. Small tree frogs, like greens, however, will rely on small insects, which will naturally lack D3. There's been some studies on frogs that have showing UVB to be beneficial, but I've not seen one on Hyla cinerea. I was skeptical at first on this matter due to the claims that every amphibians needs UVB, which most likely isn't true, all are different. UVB lights are safe for amphibians and nowadays come cheap, if you go for European made lamps you can even get one year out of them before needing to change them.

6. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I have a 46 Gallon tank set up with 2 White's, 3 Western Grays, and one American Green (I had 2 but Big Green started starving himself so I let him go, gonna let one of the grays go when I replace him! Our pet store just stopped carrying American Greens though! :/)

My WTF Whitey LOVES to bask, he basks so much I had to move his favorite branch down cause he was drying himself out (not severely!). I use a Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 bulb, Big Green loved basking too, the grays will also go warm themselves up once and awhile too but for the most part Whitey and Big Green were the only regulars/daily baskers. My American Green Launch used to bask in the old tank, and my WTF Irwin was a basker but I lost him last fall to Red Leg. ):

As far as I'm concerned its ridiculous to assume anything on this planet with bones doesn't need UVB... most EVERYTHING that dwells on the surface needs sunlight, it helps with digestion and bone growth. Lack of sunlight can cause bone deficiencies (and even depression) in humans, let alone exotic pets... :/

A light also just makes spotting droppings all the easier and adds great ambiance to the tank and room its in and can even help a bit with depression in humans! It can also help regulate tank temperature which is pretty great here in WI (working on replacing my heating pad before the end of summer! I'm just worried the pad will shatter the side of my tank if I open my window when its -15 out to air my room out, waiting 2+ hours for it to cool down just so I can open my window honestly is't an option...)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default POLL: Do American GTFs (Hyla cinerea) need UVB lighting?

I have bigger White's Tree Frogs and I have used low UVB from day one. Their color will get nicer shades and I know I have different species, but others hit it dead on, in captivity it seems tree frogs will bask wherever they want, in the light or out. So if you want them to have a more natural environment and can afford the lights then it's worth it. The lighting it's self is pretty nice, you won't be disappointed how bright it makes the tank. They may or may not need it, in the end, it's up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information