Thread: new to frog care

Default new to frog care

Hello everyone, ive been a long time lover of frogs.. ive always found them fascinating and magical looking. Never owned any or knew much about caring for them until about a week ago..

I was at work when my gf sent me a picture of two frogs that she rescued from our pool skimmer and asked if we could keep them. When i got home and saw how attached she had all ready gotten, i decided that if we were going to keep them we'd have to learn how to properly care for them. So in the past week ive spent all my time and money making sure we could care for them the best we could.

The next day we identified them as being grey tree frogs. Theyre both about the same size and color (2inches and grey, though one started out being a nice green) In the week since we have gotten them a 20 gallon tank with coconut fiber substrate, climbing branches, climbing vines, have used spring water for their dish since day 1. Have a low wattage day light and have them on a 12/12 cycle. They have been eating store bought crickets. I feed them in a seperate tank and they always eat well and seem healthy/happy..though i am new to this so i could be wrong.

I have read that keeping wild frogs is a bad idea and generally frowned upon... is this true in all cases? Should i consider letting them go and starting anew with a CB? any comments or advice is highly appreciated and i gotta say i loved this whole experience and def want to continue with this hobby whether its with these two or a new frog. I ordered a larger vertical exoterra tank online as well should be here in a few days. Will either use for them or a new frog. But yeah illcut this off here and see what you guys think.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: new to frog care

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I think as long as you give your frogs plenty of space and the right enviroment, there's nothing wrong with wild-caught, so long as they're legal to collect and in good numbers in your area. Even captive-breds are not tame like dogs are and behave not much different to the wild ones, however the benefits of captive bred are that they are relitively free of disease but as long as you provide the proper conditions and treat them if neccessary, it should be fine. It's best avoided purchasing WC from pet shops though, due to the stress they go through with transportation. A 20-gallon tank is a good size to start with and everything sounds good. Make sure to get a thermometer and hygromter to check temps and humidity, though. It would be good to get a book or two, if you haven't already just as they provide good in-depth information. There are many books available that feature their care under the same as recommended for green tree frogs.

Jason

Thanks for the reply! Yeah i havent yet got a thermometer and hydrometer ill make sure to. I have read a lot online so far from a lot of different sources... for the most part the info is the same or similar but i thought it would be good to get feedback on the specific situation. I do prob need a good book too.

One thing Im not sure on is what size of cricket i should be using. I started them on small ones and theyll each eat ten of them pretty easily. Then today i tried feeding one of them the larger size of cricket (my pet shop carries two sizes) he ate three of them total but i noticed after the first one he stretched his legs out and reared his head upwards for a second. I hadnt seen that behavior before with the smaller ones, have you ever seen that before? Im wondering if they are too large for them.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Best with books. Some good info online but a lot of bad. Try three week old crickets, they'd between small and mediums. You can order them online of the shop doesn't have any. Make sure food is never larger than the head. It's better to feed smaller and more than larger and less, as long as it's large enough to appeal

5. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Thread Information