Thread: Found Hyla Versicolor/Chrysoscelis

ashb

Default Found Hyla Versicolor/Chrysoscelis

On Friday afternoon I went to target and a frog was hopping along on the burning hot sidewalk. It was 103 degrees out at the time so i picked it up and it was dry dry dry! I ran it to the bathroom and moistened him under the sink and brought him home. I have him in a 12"x12"x18" terrarium right now with plenty of branches and moisture.

Since Saturday I have tried feeding him freeze dried crickets and live crickets to no avail. I have tried it with tongs, putting the crickets in his terrarium, and even removing the frog and placing it in a seperate small container with crickets and it STILL hasn't eaten. I left the frog in the container with the crickets for thirty minutes and when I came back, its mouth was gaping open and closing and its body was swelling up and releasing some kind of long stringy fluid out its anus.

What is up with my little guy? I would have taken him to the vet today or yesterday except I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed and I'm not in the best condition to drive.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Found Hyla Versicolor/Chrysoscelis

Sounds like he's suffering from bacterial septicemia. It's unlikely at this point you can save him but a vet is your only shot I think.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

ashb

Oh jeez. Thank you, I'll try to get him in as soon as possible.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

One thing you should bear in mind is that it's not normal for a treefrog to be hopping around on concrete during the day, so he's likely had this problem for a while before you found him.

ashb

Yeah I was thinking it was extremely unusual to see a frog hopping around in broad daylight in this south Texas heat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well I hope the vet can help, but if not it is good you tried to help. Sorry you have to go through this. Let us know how he does.

ashb

When I spoke to someone on the phone at the vet's office, they insisted that it was "just a stressed out frog and you should release it instead of trying to keep it like some caged pet".

The frog is still in his terrarium and moving around more, but I don't see any signs of him eating yet...I can't find one cricket though so maybe he is.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Well the vet's office might have over simplified matters but they do have a point about releasing it. Healthy wild caught Gray Treefrogs usually eat within day or two of being caught. There's definitely something seriously wrong with your frog.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by ashb View Post
    I left the frog in the container with the crickets for thirty minutes and when I came back, its mouth was gaping open and closing and its body was swelling up and releasing some kind of long stringy fluid out its anus.
    I know this post is ANCIENT, but it comes up on google and I have something I'd like to add to this conversation / topic.

Sometimes, after my grey tree frogs eat a big meal, they do this weird thing where they puff up huge, start wiping their arms and legs all over their body. A slimy substance appears and the frog will actually swallow it, but if you're not watching close you can't see the substance and it just looks like the frog is dry heaving. It scared the hell out of me the first time I saw it happen, but now I know what it is! They are shedding skin!

This is just a theory, but here's what I believe: they puff up as much as they can to stretch & separate the old skin. They wipe their arms and legs all over to displace the skin and push it towards their mouths. I know green anoles and lots of lizards eat their skin for the vitamins. Is it possible the grey tree frogs do the same thing? I believe they do.

ANYWAY! From what you described, I believe this is what may have happened to your frog. If you're still active on this forum I'd be interested to know, were the crickets gone when he exhibited this strange behavior? I'm guessing he ate the crickets, and because his skin was probably already damaged from the hot pavement you saved him from, it triggered shedding. The slimy fluid you thought was coming from his anus was probably just slimy skin coming lose from the lower portion of his body. The opening and closing of his mouth was probably him swallowing the skin. Seriously, you have to look closely at the corners of their mouths so see it going in, but if you look close you'll see it. If you don't look close it just looks like something is wrong with them.

Here is a photo of one of my grey tree frogs doing what I just described

Thread Information