Thread: Chorus forg(?) with bloated/injured eye

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Chorus forg(?) with bloated/injured eye

Hi! I found this little guy in our doortrap on the 8th. I don't know if he was weak and just laid down in the door trap or if someone hit him. He's currently in a 12"x9"x5" shoetub, I'm keeping the temps around 77-85 (infrared heat guns are wonderful!) on damp paper towels. I don't know what his humidity should be, so I'm going a little drier than what it is currently. so around 50-60%. He ate four tiny superworms last night and two baby crickets today. I don't know how much/how often to feed him, so if you know it would be great!

Now to the problem;
    Something is wrong with his left (?) eye. From what I can see it looks like its an issue with his nictitating membrane. He cannot blink or retract the bad eye at all, the good one closes, puffs out and sucks bad in fine.
    The eye was blood red and covered in dirt when I found him, so I sprayed him with conditioned water and out neosporin without pain relief on the eyeball 3 times a day for the first night, once yesterday and I'm going to wait for tonight's to see what you say. I don't think he has any sight in that eye, mostly because I was able to put a q tip with neosporin on it physically on the eyeball, but he freaked when my hand went over his body.

I've got some pictures, they arent very pretty but hopefully they're clear enough. I can get others now if needed, I don't want to bother him too much. These are from the first night, he was in a separate bucket that I put Eco Earth and spaghum moss in because I found him as I was walking out the door so I just threw something together. The potatos in the bowl were for the superworms to have something to focus on instead of climbing out. He didn't eat until yesterday, I don't leave any insects in with him.
    http://imgur.com/a/yp2mZ
    That's a link to an album of images. The clear thing on the bad eye is NOT the neosporin, I think the stuff on the edge of his eye towards his nose is. He was still covered in some dog hair in the pictures, I think I got all of that off. The hazyness and bluryness if because I didn't want him to jump out so the lid was pushed back enough where I could see him on the camera.

Now that I'm actually looking at the pictures, could it be a birth defect? There's no coloring on the bad eye period. Maybe fluid retention? I saw an image of a wild snake that had an extremely bloated eye due to the tear drainage hole in the mouth being blocked, something like that? I'm in the Tampa, Fl area if it helps.
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Chorus forg(?) with bloated/injured eye

So some updates on him, anyone have any sort of input? (Temps and housing, medical, anything really)
    I'm not sure if he's eating because I found the worms under the paper towels. I got some pinhead crickets, theyre extrmemly hard to catch so one died and two got loose, I don't know if he ate the other three as I didn't find him. I'm offering small worms every other day in the morning then going through the paper towels at night to see if he ate them.

https://imgur.com/a/8t0jR
    I put the pictures in chronological order, the first couple are from yesterday and the other are from today. It looks like the outside of his eye is sloughing off. It seems like it brought the swelling down a tad, either whatever the issue was is dying and coming off or it's the neosporin (I haven't done anymore since I posted, waiting to see if thats okay)

He must be feeling at little better, or atleast be used to the situation as he was off the ground yesterday. He's been sticking to the inside of the coconut ht in the pictures. I moved him into the water bowl as the paper towels are dry and he hadn't moved from his spot since I put him in here.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, sorry no one has been able to help yet but I may be able to help abit. His eye looks severly infected and you want to get the infection in check before it goes into the blood stream. I would stop putting Neosporin in his eye, I don't know forsure if its bad but I wouldn't do it again like you said till you are further advised if its ok. If you have an exotic vets or are able to get your hands on this Ciloxan 0.3% Ciprofloxacin Hydrocloride Ophthalmic solution this will help the healing a lot faster and help rid of any bacterial infections in the eye. One of my Pacman frogs had did some damage to his eyelid when he was a baby and this stuff worked like a charm, he still will sometimes have trouble closeing it and will end up getting a mild eye infection every once in awhile and this stuff always clears it up. I always have a bottle on hand just in case, and its not expensive at all. Only thing is it has to be prescribed.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you! I really do't have a way to get that stuff, my only option would be to ask our dogs vet nicely but she doesn't know how to work with anything that isn't cat, dog or farm animal. I do have Neomycin Polymyxin B Sulfates eye drops from earlier this year when our dog wouldn't quit stabbing his eye with the christmas tree needles.
    Looking it up I saw two people had it for their frogs and it kinda he,ped, and vet med sites list it for birds, dogs, reptile and amphibians so try it? I don't think it could do anymore damage that what is currently being done. So about 1 drop a day?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey I just looked that stuff up, my only worry is if its prescribed by weight your dog would obviously weigh a lot more then frog so it could end up doing more bad then good. But if it isn't from what I have seen and read I would give it shot. And if your worried it could be to strong may be adding a 2-3 drops of distilled water to a drop of the medicine might lower the concentration abit. I'm not a vet so I don't really want to say yes but if it is ok I wouldnt want to say no, its totally up to you. Or you could wait till morning and just call a exotics vet explain your situation and ask them if your able to give it to him since you have it on hand. And if they don't want to answer there is a vet Named DR, Frye in the U.S that will sometimes give advice over email. I don't know the email of hand but you could send him an email with some pics and he would be able to tell you if your able to use that stuff.

Thread Information