Thread: Grey Tree Frog Tadpoles

Nationality
    [United States]

Smile Grey Tree Frog Tadpoles

Hello,
    I have a plethora of Grey Tree Frogs in my backyard, and some laid eggs in my pool. I got them out immediately, I didn't want the chemicals to kill them. I put them in a bowl and now I have 14 very tiny tadpoles! The only issue is, I don't know where to go from here. What do they eat? How do I care for them? Any advice would be great!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Grey Tree Frog Tadpoles

I think you can feed them fish food and lettuce. When they start developing legs, you can put them in a shallower tank with something to climb out onto, like sloping gravel. They should stop eating while they're absorbing their tails. Also it might be good to get some flightless fruit flies for them once they grow legs and lose their tails. Lots of them. Froglets eat more than you'd think and you've got fourteen. Or you can turn them loose immediately.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello! I can tell you that I keep my tadpoles in a filtered, heated (to 76°F) 10 gallon tank and they are thriving. I have been siphoning out poo daily using an airline tube and do a 50% water change every 3 days. I feed them a mix of blood worms, frozen chopped spinach (blanching it is good too because it breaks down the hard fibers), and tadpole bites (found in most pet stores.) As Elly said, when they start growing legs, it's time to move them to a different container that is shallow and sloped for easy climb out. I usually wait until they have at least 1 front let before I move them over, but if you notice some good size bumps where the front legs come out, then it should be okay. The toad tadpoles that I had ate a bit more quickly than I expected. I would say by 24 hours out of the water they were munching down springtails. With 14 tadpoles though, you need to make sure you have A LOT of tiny feeders if you do not intend to release them immediately. My 16 toadlets are eating me out of house of home haha.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Hello, Brian and I are raising the tadpoles together, we think they're about 6 days old. Attached is a photo of them, where do we go from here? (the little granules in the water is tadpole food we got from the pet store)
    http://s32.postimg.org/z2r95iqpx/image1.jpg
    http://s32.postimg.org/jfmo6apqd/image2.jpg

Nationality
    [United States]

I have an assortment of 8 tree frog tadpoles right now. I feed them lettuce that's been boiled and frozen. Before boiling the lettuce I shred it up, and after it's cooled off I might shred it into smaller pieces just in case. I keep them in ziplock bags and break off tiny pieces to put in with my tads. They love it!

I still have tadpole food from when I tried raising a tadpole from one of those grow-a-frog sites, but I didn't see them going after it like they did the lettuce so I'm assuming they didn't eat it. I'd clean it out of the tank with a cooking syringe from the grocery store. Sometimes I'll also see my tadpoles nibbling on the plant in their tank.

7. This member thanks RobotQT1 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

A plastic bin, out of direct sunlight, filled with rainwater or if you use tap water make sure it is treated with Reptisafe (Amazon.com carries it too). Spring Water will do too but never Distilled, never untreated tap water. Tadpole food from Walmart, or lettuce that has been softened by gentle boiling is excellent. Tadpole food is best because it sinks thus eliminating the potential for air bubbles to get in the stomach of the tadpoles. If you keep them outside, remove any water insect you don't recognize, especially dragonfly larvae (pull up picture on computer to recognize) - they will eat the tadpoles. Every year I remove several hundred from my rain barrels and raise them outside with no problems, except Wolf Spiders and Dragonflies that wait on the artificial lily pads. If you can find a nearby pond with quiet water, it is probably best to deposit them there. Should you decide to keep a few, you are indeed in for a treat. Their development is a study in wonder. Be sure and read the Care Sheet of Grey Tree Frog on Frogforum.

If you have them in a bowl, an aquarium air stone will provide oxygen until they are froglets. Air stones can be found at Walmart, pet stores or Amazon.com. Nothing expensive. GoodWill Thrift often has aquarium supplies. I have used a Turkey Baster for removing poop. Turkey Basters are at the grocery store; it's a long plastic tube with an opening on one end and a bulbous hand pump on the other.

Thread Information