Thread: Plants native to Southeast USA?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Question Plants native to Southeast USA?

Hi, this is my first post on the forum

I'm in the process of building my first ever naturalistic planted vivarium, and the only thing I haven't got figured out is the plants! This will be a small viv (15 gallon tall) and it will eventually house American green tree frogs. I thought it would be fun to make their enclosure as accurate as possible, and include the types of vegetation that they would find in their wild range - South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama region. (I know the range for this species is actually much wider, so I picked sort of the southeasternmost "corner" of it to focus on.)

My trouble is finding the plant species that are both found in the region, and would do well in a small viv. I was pleased to note that several Tillandsia species are found wild in Florida, although most of these are endangered so I would be using similar species as stand-ins. Other than epiphytes though, the sort of plants I'm interested in seem to be the ones that no-one else is. I want the teeny-tiny, nondescript sort of vines and ferns that almost no garden centre would ever stock. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful.

Most vivarium supply sites seem to be geared toward dart frog enthusiasts, having plants from the more tropical regions of the world. Anyone know where I can get ones from slightly further north? I am aware that many plant species occur over large ranges as well - perhaps it would be easier for me to focus on central american plants and hope they are also found in the USA?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Plants native to Southeast USA?

I too am planting with natives combined with silk; some successes, a lot of failures most of which was from my lack of knowledge of native plants some of which must go dormant in order to thrive, lighting (the main culprit) and moisture level consistent with needs of native. It can seem complicated. Trail-and-error seemed the best for instant gratification, but I can say now, from experience, do your research and work from the soil up: Right soil for the right plant. Your local county Cooperative Extension Office should have volunteer Master Gardeners and they in turn have a Native Plant Rescue group. That group rescues native plants from sites being demolished for construction. These plants are sold at Master Gardener Plant Sales at your local County Cooperative Extension Office. These volunteers have a wealth of information on native plants in your area.

Thread Information