Thread: New American Toad

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New American Toad

I just caught a wild American Toad 2 days ago. (It was in the middle of my street, and I didn't want it to get hit. Plus, to my knowledge, there is not a reliable water source anywhere close by, besides swimming pools. I'm not sure where it came from.) It appears to be a young-ish female, about 2 1/2". She looks healthy. Plump for her size, bright clear eyes, active when I caught her. I brought her in and made her a home, for the moment, in a 5 gallon aquarium that I filled with damp Eco-Earth. I put a water dish in there that is big enough for her to soak in without drowning, and I put a half log in for her to hide under. Right now, I'm keeping the substrate damp by misting it lightly twice a day. I'm using dechlorinated tap water for all of this. She's at room temperature, so about 70 degrees. She's in the living room, but it's just me and my husband, so the area isn't very active. We have several windows, so the room is bright during the day and dark at night. She is not in any direct sunlight, nor is she in any kind of a draft. About an hour after I put her in the tank, she burrowed into the substrate, and she has stayed there. She has made a small air hole in the burrow, but is otherwise covered, and if I look carefully, I can see the tip of her snout in the hole. She has turned around in the burrow a couple times, but has not come up since she went in. (No other dirt is disturbed, water dish is pristine.) I threw a couple of small, store-bought crickets in yesterday to see if she would be interested, but they're still in there. I know toads burrow, and it can take a little bit for them to adjust to new surroundings, but at what point should I worry? I'm wondering if I should take her to a local park and let her go? I have always wanted an American toad as a pet, but I want to do what's best for her. Do you think she'll adjust? I do have experience keeping "exotic" pets (I have a Desert Kingsnake and I keep tarantulas currently. I used to keep hermit crabs and a skink several years ago), but I don't have much experience with toads, or amphibians in general. Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New American Toad

Welcome to the forum!

Firstly, there is a good care sheet on the forum for toad species that should help you build a proper set up - http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...ytes-Pelobates

It's really amazing how far a toad can travel. I go camping at a campground on the top of a bluff, there are no water sources except at the bottom of the bluff. It's quite a trek for a human, and yet the campground is filled with various frogs and toads! American toads usually do not go back to water sources except during breeding season, so it's not too shocking to find her a distance from water, especially if she's already bred this year.

If you're going to take a wild caught species, I would recommend taking as young as possible! If you can collect eggs or tadpoles, that would be the best, but new metamorphs are a good option too. They usually adapt more easily that way. Also, keep in mind that wild caught species typically carry parasites that may need treatment as they take advantage while the toad is stressed in new captivity.

If you do choose to release her, I would release her in the same area you found her (not in the middle of the road obviously.) It may not seem like an ideal spot to you, but she was there for a reason.

It is kind of unusual that she has not moved from her burrow at all, but at the same time that's not totally unusual. She is probably really stressed and it will take time for her to adjust to a new home. When I bring in a new animal, I always cover 3+ sides of whatever they're in to help them feel more secure.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions that come up.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New American Toad

Welcome!

As far as I can tell, you are taking care of this toad fairly well for not having much experience. After taking Amy's advice, if you decide to keep it, you need to do the following.

#1. Get a 10 gallon aquarium.
    #2. Get food! Worms are always my first choice because of the lack of crickets here, but crickets would be better.
    #3. Keep the place nice and moist, but not soaking. There should be plenty of moisture, but the dirt needs to stay strong. Also, no puddles.
    #4. From reading this, I couldn't tell if you had a hide. Try to find one!
    #5. Do what Amy said. At the beginning of keeping the toad, cover up three sides of the aquarium.

Try not to handle the toad to much, and keep trying to feed it. She will eat eventually.

However, I do recommend trying to find a smaller toad just like Amy mentioned. The younger the better!
    Please visit my site at www.byebyequestions.wordpress.com

Please friend me.

Please "like" my post.

Take care of God's creations.

My profile picture was a fund raiser, I do not get my nails done.

My toads-Beth, Lily, and Princess.

My Rabbit-Speckals

Thread Information