Thread: ACF acting strange

gippy

Question ACF acting strange

We got this frog about 8 years ago, and after about 6 months, we got another who turned out to be a female. They ended up with a daughter and son, and the four lived together quite happily. But one by one the frogs have died over the years, and a week ago, the son died, leaving the original frog by himself. Last night, he started acting very strangely -- hanging suspended in the middle of the water vertically, then going to the corner of the tank and popping up and down rapidly so his head was coming out of the water. I've never seen him do this before. His tank has both a filter and an aerator, and I replaced the filter fairly recently. After his weird behavior, I changed out half the water in the tank and put in new water. As of today, he's acting more normally.

Any idea what's going on with him? Was the water the problem, or is this some kind of loneliness behavior?

I'd appreciate any opinions!

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: ACF acting strange

Quote Originally Posted by gippy View Post
    ...he started acting very strangely -- hanging suspended in the middle of the water vertically, then going to the corner of the tank and popping up and down rapidly so his head was coming out of the water....
    Hi Charlie,

I have experienced the behavior of my frogs popping up and down. The reason was the water was not conditioned properly. I forgot to add the water conditioner and the chlorine levels were very high. They stopped after I treated the water. Also, ACFs are sensitive to output caused by high power filtration systems. You may want to reduce the flow. They prefer quiet, shallow waters with plenty of hiding places.

ACFs have a habit of hanging vertically with their head sticking out of the water. This is normal behavior. I keep the water level no deeper than 1.5 times the length of the frog.

These frogs seem to be fairly social, so getting a companion might solve the problem.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information