Thread: Pixie frog back problem or OK?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Pixie frog back problem or OK?

Hey all,

OK so I have a baby Giant (I hope) pixie frog and have had him over three weeks. Everything is fine with him and he is eating super well and is fun to have but I'm worried about his tailbone/lower back. He's got the midline dorsal green strip that goes down his back but in his lower back, the stripe seems go back the other way and I don't know if that's just a superficial color thing that he has that's not a perfect line or if it means his lower back is indeed curved in a bad way. He jumps fine (even higher now than I first got him) and I don't him suffering or moving strange. Please advise.

I'm trying to attach pictures but it says the file is not recognized. I tried shrinking the file and still have problems. Any tips?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Pixie frog back problem or OK?

I'm moving this thread where it belongs

and a questions to help us to help you better:
    - what are you feeding him? How often?
    - what supplements are you using and how often?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

I feed him crickets and was feeding him daily until I moved back to southern CA. The temperatures were well controlled where I was but here there a little more variable although he still has a heat pad on one side with a lot of substrate to bury himself. I use Repashy Calcium Plus on all feedings.
    Anyway, I'm concerned now because when I brought back home he wouldn't eat. I would have it in the same RUB that I had used before and instead of focusing on the crickets before him, he just would always try to escape. I got him to eat a cockroach but then he wouldn't eat after that. Yesterday he finally ate a superworm and 8 large crickets. Today he ate 5 large crickets and then was totally uninterested and was trying to get out of his opaque container that I feed him in now.
    My concern is back when I first got him a couple months ago he ate EVERYDAY. I mean 20 smallish to medium crickets was a typical meal for everyday. I couldn't believe how much he could eat. Now here he doesn't eat nearly as much. I'm really worried. How can I make him stay focused on eating and not start focusing on getting out of his feeding container. My family says to feed the crickets in his enclosure but it's not worth the stress of me worrying if he's ingesting too much eco earth. Anyway, the temps are good, he's good good damp substrate, places to hide. Is he just started to eat less as he gets older? Should I very his diet? What are some ideas to make him focus on eating? Thanks!

Z

Nationality
    [United States]

At this size it should be attacking everything including fingers from my experience. If you answer the trouble in the enclosure questions it would help. The humidity and heat are my main concerns. That line just looks to be off not its back imo from those pics. Crickets suck unless you properly gut load them. I would try something along the lines of a Canadian night crawlers as a main staple then toss dubias, etc for variety. These things usually eat you out of house and home. So it not eating consistently is a concern to me.

Nationality
    [United States]

Just wanted to update you all.
    My pixie I think was just getting used to the move (from New Mexico back to Tijuana (San Diego area)). Now he does eat everything in sight but I give him a rest from food every few days as I'm worried he'll explode! I feed him gut-loaded crickets (dusted of course), superworms, canadian nightcrawlers (since last week), and smaller earthworms. He also got a VERY large hornworm a few days ago. I have yet to try a pinkie but will once he gets even bigger. I have found it is so much easier to feed him in enclosure. I put the moving prey item in front of him and he dives for it rarely eating any eco earth. If I take him out of his enclosure like I used to and put him in a plastic shoebox with crickets and other prey items, he'll eat a few but then he gets focused on trying to get out and loses interest in eating. Where as he eats more readily in his own enclosure. Is that normal? The weather has consistently been warm lately and I think that has helped too. Thanks all for your tips.

Z

Nationality
    [Canada]

I don't own a pixie but for your question about is it normal for him to eat better in his enclosure I would say yes. I have pacmans and none of them ever did good out of the enclosure trying to eat, like you said they seemed more interested in trying to get out. Kind of think of it this way, Would we like it every time it was meal time that someone picked us up and moved us outside to eat away from your safe and secure home we wouldn't really be hungry either. I think its totally normal he feels better eating in his enclosure instead of outside of it.

Thread Information