Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Juvenile pacman frog not eating

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Juvenile pacman frog not eating

He's about 2-3 inches. I spray his tank at least 3 times a day. He lives in a 10 gallon, plenty of shade spots and dirt to completely bury himself. I tried small dubia roaches and mealworms but he just slaps them away. His tank is right next to a heater. What's wrong with him? I've only had him for 3-4 days now.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Juvenile pacman frog not eating

Hi ,if you have only had him 3 to 4 days he may be still adjusting, some of them go through this and others eat the first night home. And if hes a juvenile 3 to 4 days isn't to bad without food. Your humidity I would try and keep around 75% and your heat should be around 82f to 84f, I keep mine at 82f. If his temps are to cold he wont want to eat and if he does eat it wont digest properly and you don't want the food to sit in his system for to long. The heat is very important. Try and put the tank in quiet a room if it isn't because loud noises and traffic will scare him and stress him out, if he gets very stressed for long periods of time his immune system will weaken and he more the likely become sick. Also if you cover 3 sides of his enclosure this helps reduce stress and helps them settle in. Just keep offering and he should eventually take it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for the info! how many more days do you recommend that I should wait?

And about noise, I can't really control that. I have 2 loud parrots who are almost always making sounds. My room is the only spot I can keep him in.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If he doesn't eat something for you in the next couple days then there could be something else wrong but for now I wouldn't worry to much and just keep trying. If the noise is just the parrots he may get to used to it due to it always being the same noise. Its more loud voices and sudden loud noises and banging that you would have to worry about.

6. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

And one more question that I forgot to include in my other reply is, am I supposed to feed him if he's all the way at the bottom of his bedding all the time? I feel kinda bad for digging him out of his home and bothering him.

Nationality
    [Canada]

You can just uncover his head so his eyes can open and so his mouth is exposed and clear of coco fibre and that's good. As long he can see it that's all that counts, and ya completely uncovering will freak him out and just take him longer to settle. If he hasn't pooped for you since you have had him and he doesn't eat tonight try and give a warm bath tomorrow with some honey in it and he may go to the bathroom and once he has emptied out he may eat. So put about 4 drops of honey in warm bath of declorinated water no higher then his chin and let him sit in there for 20 mins or till It gets cold. After this put him in just a normal bath of declorinated water for another 20 mins to rinse the honey water of him. While doing this you can put a towel over his bath to keep the heat in and help him to relax, and don't worry even if he doesn't have to go the honey wont hurt him. Oh and sometimes they wont go in the water but wait till you put them back in there home so if you try it and he doesn't go in the water make sure you look around his terrarium later to see if he went in there.

9. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh and when your clearing the dirt out from around his mouth you may want to use the back flat end of your tongs, thays how I do it. You don't want to poking around down there and end up pulling your finger out with the frog on the end of it. At 2 to 3 inches your going to feel it. I have got bit and it doesnt hurt a lot but it also doesn't feel good either.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for the info, I'll wait and see.

Nationality
    [United States]

Update:

My frog still seems ignore the food. Whenever I bring mealworms up to him, he closes his eyes, as if it's going to hurt him. Force feeding seems to work, but I still worry if he's ever going to eat by himself.

Nationality
    [Canada]

What are the temps in the enclosure? and have you found poop at all since you have had him?

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not sure about the enclosure temp but my room temp is somewhere in the 80's.

Even if he has pooped, there would be no way of telling with all the bedding and decorations.

Nationality
    [Canada]

You need to know what the temps in the enclosure are and what the humidity is, this is very critical and important. To hot or to cold will make him go off food, to cold he cant digest properly and to hot will start to dehydrate him. And you need to look for his poop to see if he went, sometimes if they move holes that means they pooped in the old one or he could of trampled over it and partially buried it. If he hasn't pooped give him nice warm soak and see if goes in there, if he is full he wont want to eat. And I suggest you get those gauges as soon as you can.

Nationality
    [United States]

I did as you said and put him into a small tub of warm water, got a cup and splashed some of it onto his back and it turned out he was shedding. I kept splashing him until all of the shed skin came off by its self. After that he became much more livelier.

I also gave gave him a mealworm. He still seems scared of his food, so I had to force it into his mouth. He seems to have gotten used to being forced as he starts eating right away once the food is in his mouth.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, the warm bath was more to see if he would go poop but if he needed to shed its good he was able to do so. The shedding shouldn't make him not want to eat though unless you try to feed him while in actual shed. I have fed mine after or before shedding with no problems so that shouldn't be what is making him not want eat. Have you got those gauges yet?

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you can fill these questions out as best as you can this could help determine what is wrong also.

1. Size of enclosure

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences

3. Humidity

4. Temperature

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish

6. Materials used for substrate

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.

8. Main food source

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)

10. Lighting

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure

12. When is the last time he/she ate

13. Have you found poop lately

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

16. How old is the frog

17. How long have you owned him/her

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred

19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats

20. How often the frog is handled

21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area

22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wouldn't feed him mealworms. Their bodies are hard to digest. I would try crickets and night crawlers.

Nationality
    [United States]

I just answered the entire thing, and then when I decided to add the photo, it bugged

Here's a photo of him

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya that has happened to me before after typing something once I went to post it it buggered up and didn't end up doing it, I now copy it before posting just in case. From the looks of your terrarium the cocofibre looks abit dry, you never answered about the gauges either. If ypu haven't got them you should, as I mentioned before its very important to know the exact temps and humidity. You could maybe add a hide for him or another plant in that area were he is sitting to give abit more cover. Also you can cover 3 sides of the enclosure so he cant see out in all directions and this will help him relax. I looked at the pictures of him in your other thread and if he hasn't really been eating he does look like he has something in him from the way his sides are sticking out. Did you ever try the honey bath I suggested? I'm thinking he could impacted from something he ate before you got him and this could be why he is refuseing the food. Also I cant see a water bowl, do you have it taken out or do you just not have one?

Nationality
    [United States]

The reason the bedding is dry is because, I hadn't misted at the time.

I haven't given him a water bowl because I fear that he won't use it and will just hide under the bedding all the time.

Nationality
    [United States]

1. 10 Gallon tank

2. He's the only frog in the tank.

3. Unsure

4. Unsure

5. Misting the tank 4-5 times a day

6. Coconut fiber

7. See picture

8. Mealworms, trying to start up a dubia colony so I can feed him dubia roaches as a main diet.

9. Dust his food every meal

10. None

11. Nothing (yet)

12. Today

13. No

14. See picture

15. Cowers away from food, closing eyes, going into defensive mode in response to his food.

16. Unsure, definitely a juvenile, still has, what looks like a tail stub.

17. 1-2 weeks now

18. Unsure

19. Wax worms.

20. Only during feeding.

21. Low traffic.

22. Not much besides just misting the tank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information