Thread: Phyllomedusa tomopterna- Super Tiger Legged Monkey Tree Frog-- Container Type?

Question Phyllomedusa tomopterna- Super Tiger Legged Monkey Tree Frog-- Container Type?

I'm doing some research on this species before buying it. I have run into a very basic question as a result of looking at several sites, including different breeders, a couple well known.

In keeping this species, does one keep them in an arboreal setup, or a standard fish tank, ie terrestrial? I've seen both style of containers from breeders.

I'd be curious to know what other people think, especially breeders.

Also, the ones I may purchase are juvi's, w/out being able to identify their gender, what size container, be it a typical fish tank, or an arboreal set up (ie ExoTerra) should one use for 2 frogs of this species?

I know this frog genus basks, covered in mucus, at least one site mentioned they should have exposure to UV. True or False?

"Provide a low level UVB light, such as the Exo Terra UVB100, for 12 hours during the day."

The info came from Josh's Frogs, never bought from them, only heard of them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Phyllomedusa tomopterna- Super Tiger Legged Monkey Tree Frog-- Container Type?

Hi< I don't own any but you may want to look at the new skyscraper exo terra. It is 18" x 18" x 36", its there newest one to date I believe. And just like almost all tree frogs you would not want terrestrial so an exo terra would probably be better then a fish tank. I just seen a video the other day on you tube of a guy setting up one of these Skyscrapers, you could go and try to find it and you will be able to see how room you would have after being planted.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Phyllomedusa tomopterna- Super Tiger Legged Monkey Tree Frog-- Container Type?

For juveniles the 12x12x18 would be appropriate, minimum 18x18x18 for adults.

True. Treefrogs are sensitive to D3 supplements and UVB is a safer and can be regulated by the frog... then use something like Repashy calcium plus LoD for dusting. Exo Terra have an app for helping with getting the right UVB bulb called UVB buddy or you could contact Arcadia reptile lighting who are experts on this subject. The joshs frogs care sheet is pretty much what you get everywhere on there care but there's also this one http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care...og-Care-Sheet/

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    For juveniles the 12x12x18 would be appropriate, minimum 18x18x18 for adults.

True. Treefrogs are sensitive to D3 supplements and UVB is a safer and can be regulated by the frog... then use something like Repashy calcium plus LoD for dusting. Exo Terra have an app for helping with getting the right UVB bulb called UVB buddy or you could contact Arcadia reptile lighting who are experts on this subject. The joshs frogs care sheet is pretty much what you get everywhere on there care but there's also this one http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care...og-Care-Sheet/
    Thanks for the helpful info. I have previously found that particular care sheet.

How many adults can go in a 18x18x18 ExoTerra ?

The reptiles magazine suggests they can be kept in a fish tank...hence the confusion.

Thanks for the info on vit D3 supplementation. I did not know it would be better to have a UV B bulb. Also, wasn't sure if those instructions on Josh's site were species specific or boilerplate. I got the impression it was not specific.

I'll keep doing more research, hopefully more owners of these frogs will chime in.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I have a few books by the author who wrote it, knows his stuff. He also has a book out called simply 'treefrogs' which is good. The joshsfrogs caresheet is species specific and they breed a lot of frogs so I would trust them. The 18x18x18" is around 25 gal, so I would keep 4 in that size because they're not that big, not as much as 8 like said in the caresheet, that's a bit overcrowded buuuuut you would be much better with a larger tank, especially if you want to plant it because drainage layer tanks up height and plants grow tall. You can keep tree frogs in standard fish tanks with a screen top, it's just the reptile ones are better because of the front opening doors, when you open from the top the animals get stressed and the hassle of having to move the light and heat fixtures everyday is annoying. Two other features that the reptile tanks offer which make them better for tree frogs is that the Exo Terra's have more ventilation and you can get taller tanks. I don't personally own these frogs (though they are going to be my next purchase) I have kept/keep quite a few which require similar care.

7. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm going to disagree here. Ph. Tomopherna don't need high percentage UVB and most definately not UVB 10. You are confusing them with Ph. Sauvagii and bicolour that do need that strength and sit out in the open basking under the sun, tomopherna care is very similar to red eye tree frog care, except they are smaller and don't really need huge cages, but like with any tree frog the bigger the tank the better it is, they will use every inch of the space and it is less stressful for the frog. They would very much apprechiate naturalistic aboreal tank, but I would look for taller then 18" one. You need to think - what you want to achieve? If the answer is to have " happy frogs" that you will enjoy for the years to come, then get the biggest tank you can possibly get for the space you have
    personally I would not keep them ( group of 4) in a tank smaller then 18x18x24

where are you getting them? Are they CB?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

9. This member thanks Lija for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I'm not confusing them... UVB100 is actually a 5% and ff you put a the lower 2% UVB over screen you actually do nothing for your frogs but provide them light, as the UVB is halved and unusable. I think this is why Exo Terra changed their UVB bulbs names. The exact % of UVB required actually depends on the size of the tank and cannot be determined solely on that 'this' UVB should always be used for this animal. What you need to know is the uv gradients needed throughout the tank for the species. If you use a too low percentage UVB you don't provide the right UVB gradients which they need. It's similar to that if you were using a heat lamp, Oviously larger tanks will require more wattage than smaller to provide the right temps. As they are arboreal they can use the height and size of the enclosure to regulate the exposure effectively.

11. 2 members thank jasonm96 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Jason is quite correct, P. tomopterna, like all tree frog species require UVB and an arboreal enclosure. A minimum of 5% in a 2ft high cage if not higher due to the halving caused by the mesh is appropriate. By habit Super Tigers sit on the tops of leaves all day long so their exposure would be very high in the wild.
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

13. 3 members thank Diver for this post:

Hi everyone, for some reasons your replies are not being sent to via instant email notification. Thanks for the info, I will read through these more carefully and respond, as it raises more questions.

I'm only interested in owning 2 of this species. I'm not looking to breed either. Maybe 3 at most.

Can one use a Radiant Heat Panel with this species. In the past I always used a light bulb to generate heat for my frogs. However, I wasn't sure if a RHP would be good or bad for these animals.

I remain undecided if I'm going to do a planted viv at this time.

Thread Information