Thread: Found injured Grey tree frog, need help with nursing him back to health

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Found injured Grey tree frog, need help with nursing him back to health

I found this little buddy today while at work on a golf course. I was edging out the sprinkler in the photo and he popped out of nowhere. I assume i must have nipped him while working. I took him home and am hoping to try to nurse him back to good health. Im not sure if the issue is a prolapse or if he actually got cut and his intestines are starting to pop out. Any help with how to go about healing him and just general care for this specific species would be wonderful.

Couldnt upload the pictures through the forum (probably too big) here is a link: http://imgur.com/a/VBWqj

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Found injured Grey tree frog, need help with nursing him back to health

That is a pretty severe prolapse. If it is only a prolapse I suggest sprinkling sugar or trying a honey bath to make the swelling go down and maybe make it go back in, though that won't help if a cut is to blame. It's probably of pretty questionable help since the prolapse didn't pop out on its own.

Whatever the case, I wouldn't try to feed the frog just now.

You could try a vet, if you want. I am not an expert but this looks most likely fatal.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Found injured Grey tree frog, need help with nursing him back to health

The advice already given is very helpful, but I can add a few more helpful tips. To have any chance of survival, the frog needs to have perfect conditions, as any sort of stress right now could be the final, fatal blow. As of now, provide a ten gallon tall tank with damp, paper towels, multiple hides, both at the bottom and top. Put a few pieces of décor such as fake ferns, vines, and blunt, non-sharp, cleaned sticks. Have a soaking dish that doesn't take much effort to climb out of, and make sure that any foods you give it are soft and easy to digest. Some good foods for him/her right now are probably Canadian night-crawlers, (Which should be part of the staple diet once it heals) wax-worms, horn-worms, and "calci-worms."

Go ahead and search for an exotic animal vet, and in the meantime, try some sugar water baths as described by these helpful articles: http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre.../#.Vxk81LnmrIU http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=33171 http://www.pollywogsworldoffrogs.com...ntestinal.html And a few more helpful articles to help you get started: http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...e-and-Breeding http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/296.html http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/c...ytreefrog.html http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms2.shtml And sadly, if he/she does not thrive, you'll need this article as well: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml I hope he/she survives, and lives a long life!

5. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Unfortunately I just moved back into the area so I have to wait on my friend to get home to let me borrow one, he said it might not be until tomorrow, but he has a nice 20 something tall tank which should be perfect for the little guy. As far as his survival, I didnt really expect to be able to do much for him, but at least he will have a chance to heal (Im sure he would have gotten eaten pretty much right away.) While waiting on a tank for him, ive had him in a small plastic container (about a gallon, all I had available) with damp paper towels on the bottom. He was very active when I first brought him home, but hes calmed down now. Thanks for all the advice, Ill do what I can to keep the stress down, and try the sugar water while I wait for a better enclosure for him. Unfortunately I wont be able to afford a vet for him, but ill do as much as I can for him and Ill keep the thread updated on how he does. Thanks for the help and advice!

7. This member thanks fspike for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quick Update, I was able to find some of my old "furniture" from when I kept poison dart frogs as well as a much larger plastic container. hes now got some cork bark and coconut houses and whatnot to hide in.

New Enclosure: http://imgur.com/V3TBfjG

9. This member thanks fspike for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Perfect, that's exactly what he needs right now! You're doing a great job so far! I think with the proper care you're giving him/her now, it'll heal in no time!

11. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Just an update, He is still alive and seems to atleast not gotten worse.However, he doesnt seem to have gotten better really. Ive tried giving him the sugar water baths, but he usually jumps out within a few seconds, a couple times he stayed for about 30 seconds maybe. Ive tried putting him in the bath probably around 7 or 8 times over the past 3 days. I also put some night crawlers I found outside in his tank a few days ago. He might have eaten one while I wasnt looking (It disappeared while I turned away, but he didnt seem like he was showing any interest in it before) I also cut up some more today and put them on a plastic lid for him to eat from. He still moves around and doesnt seem like hes in pain, but so far unless I bother him he seems to stay put (though maybe hes moving more on his own over the last day.) I got that tank from my friend, but it is already furnished and has soil instead of paper towels, so Im not sure if I should keep him in the temp tank till he looks like hes feeling better (ill attach a photo so I can be advised on that.)

One other thing, I will get paid on Friday so I may be able to afford to take him to a vet if its not too expensive, But I kinda assume it will be pretty expensive... Anyone know what a quote for something like this would be at a vet?

Also Im worried about feeding him, since his rectum is messed up, will he get impacted when he goes to poop?

Pictures of tank and injury: http://imgur.com/a/oTyz1

13. This member thanks fspike for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It'll be easier for him to pass food that is small and soft, like chopped night-crawlers or wax-worms. For the sugar baths, try filling the temporary tub that your using halfway, so he can't avoid most of it, but he can still breathe

Nationality
    [United States]

So fill the whole tank up with like a quarter inch of sugar water instead of just a small bowl? or do you mean get a separate container to put him in temporarily (like the small one I had him in when I first brought him home) and put like a quarter inch?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yes, like a temporary tank. Something like this is preferable: http://m.kohls.com/product/prd-16980...FZAJDAodkooFLQ they do sell smaller versions too

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I've used a cheap Wal-Mart plastic shoebox with a lid to bathe mine. Or you could use something like a plastic tub that used to hold butter with a few holes punched in the top.

Also, try to keep the prolapse moist, if it dries out there's the danger of necrosis. If it doesn't go in, I don't know that vets do frog surgery. Maybe they could glue it back, but I don't know how that would work with frog skin. You could try gently(!) pushing it in with a moistened q-tip, but that's pretty risky.

Maybe getting an evaluation from a vet wouldn't be too costly, you could at least try that. You're doing everything right, I hate to be pessimistic, but I'm a bit pessimistic here.

Nationality
    [United States]

So hes still alive, but he hasnt really eaten anything. I tried gently pushing it back in, but it wasnt working so I didnt try to hard as I was worried it might hurt him. other than that, there doesnt seem to be much change at all so far, Either good or bad.

19. This member thanks fspike for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Once again, it may be necessary to take him to a vet, try searching for any exotic animal veterinarians in your area

Nationality
    [United States]

Hope he's doing o.k. Grey Tree Frogs are my favorite. When you put him in the Spring Water or rain water (not tap water or Distilled water), you might want to warm it up slightly. They do seem to enjoy the warm baths. I often get mine to sit for a long time on the scales when weighing them because I've warmed the scale platform with a warm paper towel. I've medicated my in warm water and I can't hardly get them to come out. Warm: only slightly above room temperature.

22. This member thanks Treesniffer for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

He seems to be almost completely better at this point, but I havent been able to get him to eat at all as far as I can tell. I let him go just now since I believe he will be able to survive just fine as he is and he will be able to find his own food in a less stressful environment. Im gonna keep checking on him for the rest of the day and if he doesnt seem to be doing well ill take him back in, but I believe this is for the best. He has been losing weight for the past week and has been increasingly lethargic. I hope he does well in the wilds of my backyard. Godspeed little buddy.

24. 2 members thank fspike for this post:

Thread Information