Thread: Is there any way to tame a green tree frog?

Default Is there any way to tame a green tree frog?

Whenever i try to take mine out it starts hopping all over the place and i don't want him to get hurt or lost. Is there anyway to sort of tame them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Turkey]

Default Re: Is there any way to tame a green tree frog?

Quote Originally Posted by laurynholly View Post
    Whenever i try to take mine out it starts hopping all over the place and i don't want him to get hurt or lost. Is there anyway to sort of tame them?

Its not possible. And you shouldn't handle them. They absorb everything trough their skin.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

There is one way of slightly taming one, but no guaranties come when you need to move it out of its tank. (Which is the only time you should touch your frog, as previously stated) Start by moving its tank into a place fairly busy with low noise (Like a living room, bedroom, ect) and walk in and out of the room frequently. (Like reading a magazine that you got and putting it back and grabbing another one, grabbing a snack out ad throwing away the trash, ect) Eventually, it'll get used to your presence and know that you are not a risk to its survival. Next step is putting some of its favorite/irresistible foods in the tank and walking away, (Such as wax-worms, Canadian night-crawlers which should be part of its staple diet anyway, horn-worms, ect) and do that over a period of two weeks to a month, and once he stops fleeing, try graduating to feeding him those items while you're in the room. After around the same time schedule, graduate to hand/tong feeding it. Once successfully done, the frog(s) should be "tame" around you, and may even be active in the day begging for food. Two things to point out, A, you shouldn't only feed most of the things I listed, as they serve more as a treat more than anything, and they are extremely fattening, except for the Canadian night-crawlers, which should be part of the staple diet. Only use those once every week, and make sure that you don't overfeed it by feeding it those wax-worms and horn-worms too often. And B, this won't apply to moving it out of its tank, as that is a whole different ballgame. My tree-frogs, even though tamed, would still be very flighty twards me, again, even when tamed. They may be calm when you move them, but don't expect them too. Here are a few more helpful articles to help you out research wise: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms2.shtml http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/M...isasters.shtml http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=31269 http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/c...ntreefrog.html And once again, I hope these links and steps I described help you out!

5. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Yes that helps thanks. Also how many bugs should be fed to them each time they feed, and how often should i feed him. Once or twice a week?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

With normal staple food items (Dusted crickets, Canadian night-crawlers, Dubia roaches, ect) you should feed them probably 3-5 crickets every three days if you choose to use them, one whole or chopped night-crawler every three days if you use them, or 2-4 dubia roaches every three days if you use them as a staple diet. Of course, you can feed different combinations each time, like 1 dubia roach and 3 adequately sized crickets, or 2-4 pieces of night-crawler with 1 dubia roach or on and on. I used to feed mine on Mondays and Fridays, once again about every three days

Oh alright cool. Can they eat mealworms? Cause i use those and crickets with my leopard gecko so it would be convenient if they could just both eat the same foods

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They can, but not very often, as mealworms are hard to digest due to their tough shells, and too often makes them constipated

Thread Information