Thread: Green Tree Frog burned :(

Default Green Tree Frog burned :(

I am still trying to figure out what happened. My son (age 7, so I was mostly taking care of it) had a green tree frog for about a month. Everything seemed fine and he was eating and active. Then one day, he comes out of his room crying that his frog is all dried up. It seems like he got burned under the heat lamp. I don't know if he got stuck, couldn't move, I don't know. He was dried up and warm. I feel awful! I just don't know how this happened.
    I had the heat lamp on top of the cage like the instructions showed. Now we have a new frog and I'm afraid of it happening again. So, I'm using a gooseneck desk lamp so it won't be right on top.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Green Tree Frog burned :(

Hi sorry for your loss. Have you got a picture of your set up? You can upload it on a picture hosting/sharing site and then copy the URL here. Also what were the temps and humidity?

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Was it too close to the basking light? Did all of the water evaporate? If you could fill this out, it'll be helpful to us to figure out how the frog died:

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet

And once again, very sorry for your loss.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

As long as there was a bowl of dechlorinated water, the frog should have been able to rehydrate himself. Unless it was extremely hot. You might want to try putting a thermometer underneath the old heat lamp after it has been on for several hours to see how hot it got.
    Otherwise, I suspect the frog might have died of other causes.

6. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

But that wouldn't explain why it was shriveled up, unless it was underneath the heat lamp when it died. Again, I think it was either due to desiccation or some other problem inside/caused in the enclosure

Darn it, I tried to answer all the questions but my reply got lost.
    Basically, here's the rundown of the set up.

10 gallon tank, screened top. Heat lamp on top. I'm not sure what the bulb strength was. Coconut fiber substrate (Eco Earth). Fed small crickets, seemed to be eating fine. Used treated reverse osmosis water. Also had a heat mat under the tank.

9. This member thanks snittens for this post:

I'll have to set it back up and check that. He did have a dish of water.

And, now the new replacement frog died. But, I thought that frog was unhealthy. He was very skinny and not active. He wasn't all shriveled up and dried like the other frog. Sigh. Maybe tree frogs aren't for us. We've had a pacman frog for almost a year and he's doing great.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well I'm going to make sure that everything is good with your tree-frogs, they are usually really hardy, I owned several for a while with know hassles except for a male getting nose rub once. Are they always too close to the basking lamp, and do you have any extra things that may be causing heat?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Well I'm going to make sure that everything is good with your tree-frogs, they are usually really hardy, I owned several for a while with know hassles except for a male getting nose rub once. Are they always too close to the basking lamp, and do you have any extra things that may be causing heat?
    It was just the heat lamp and the mat underneath the tank. The frog would be in various places in the tank - on the branch, the ground, under the hiding half-log. I'll have to take a picture of the set-up and set the lamp back up again to check the temperature. I did mist the enclosure several times a day.
    My son wants a small lizard of some sort now. So, I do want to make sure everything's good.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The heat mat plus the lamp might have been overkill. Once again I recommend getting a thermometer to check the temperature if you don't have one.

Also, kind of a minor side note since it probably didn't cause your frog to die, reverse osmosis water isn't very good for frogs. Sometimes bottled spring water is treated by reverse osmosis, but they generally add minerals back to the water. Tap water treated with dechlorinating drops (usually) is fine.
    Distilled water (or Reverse Osmosis water) has virtually no ions in it, so it causes more work for the amphibian's kidneys.
    http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Spring_water.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    The heat mat plus the lamp might have been overkill. Once again I recommend getting a thermometer to check the temperature if you don't have one.

Also, kind of a minor side note since it probably didn't cause your frog to die, reverse osmosis water isn't very good for frogs. Sometimes bottled spring water is treated by reverse osmosis, but they generally add minerals back to the water. Tap water treated with dechlorinating drops (usually) is fine.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Spring_water.shtml
    Our tap water is very hard (we're on a well). I was using the house reverse osmosis that makes our tap water drinkable. I thought that would be preferable than straight tap.

Temperature under the lamp was 75, area by the heat mat was 83.

Here's a picture of the enclosure:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Hi the thermometer should be right under the heat lamp, remember they are aboreal, so the floor temperature doesn't matter too much. You want to use a digital one, then place it on a branch directly under the bulb, whilst the analogue thermometer can measure the ambient temperature. 10-gallon tanks are really too small for tree frogs, despite what others may say. It's also very easy to overheat them. In larger tanks a better thermal gradient can be created and more space for the frog to live. I think the frog could have perished due to too much heat and not enough space to get away from it. I have two and keep them in one of the 18" cubed exo terras and this is probably the minimum size tank I would keep them in but you can easily fit another two in this size of tank (18" cube)

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Hi the thermometer should be right under the heat lamp, remember they are aboreal, so the floor temperature doesn't matter too much. You want to use a digital one, then place it on a branch directly under the bulb, whilst the analogue thermometer can measure the ambient temperature. 10-gallon tanks are really too small for tree frogs, despite what others may say. It's also very easy to overheat them. In larger tanks a better thermal gradient can be created and more space for the frog to live. I think the frog could have perished due to too much heat and not enough space to get away from it. I have two and keep them in one of the 18" cubed exo terras and this is probably the minimum size tank I would keep them in but you can easily fit another two in this size of tank (18" cube)
    I measured the temperature with a different thermometer, not the one pictured. It's an infrared thermometer gun.
    I do see now how there's really no cool side for the frog to go to. I probably didn't need both the lamp and the heat mat. Poor frogs

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Because there's no branch under the bulb a temp gun isn't best as it measures the temps of objects, not the air, So you may have got a bad reading. I wouldn't let this put you off getting more as it was an unfortunate mistake but I would get a good book and a bigger tank, something taller so the frog isn't too close to the heat source. They're pretty easy to keep frogs to set up and maintain, here's a pic of mine if it helps give you an idea. Heat bulb is over the jungle vine and at the back there's UVB. There's loads of space for the frogs to escape the heat but when they rest on the jungle vine it still a good few inches away to its not to hot. The basking spot is in the low 80s whilst the background temps are mid 70s. A 25w heat lamp is used for heat

19. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Thread Information