Thread: WTF just happened?

Nationality
    [Switzerland]

Question WTF just happened?

So, I have my WTF in mating mood, rain system all set up, a lot of wines and big leafed plants to climb and a lot of hiding places. My paludarium is about 130 gallons, and now the humidity is usually higher due to rain. There are six WTF in this enclosure at the moment, two of them are juveniles.The temperature will rise up to 28 degrees celsius.

I'm still kinda flabbergasted from what has happened.

I have a lot of wines and roots in the water so that no frog can ever drown, I also have big leaved plants just so they can hold on to things. My frogs also know the tank very well and know where they can get in and out easily. I've seen them hundreds of times sitting in water and croaking like hell.

So this morning, one of my females drops into the water,(Which isn't unusual, they usually come and sit onto the brim, because you know treats.) and swims around like crazy. She likes to swim from root to root, so I thought nothing of it. All of a sudden she starts to scream and panic, I quickly grab her but she already started to stiffen up and secrete white slimy fluid. (She didn't stiffen because I touched her.) I also do not understand what could've startled her. From her behavior, I would say she was just really confused and didn't know where she was.
    I'm going to take her to a vet, just to see if she's alright.

Don't get me wrong, I know frogs can go into full panic mode when attacked or in danger.

But I've never ever heard of a WTF doing anything like it. I've also never read about it. I haven't heard of a WTF playing dead.

Does anyone of you share similar experiences?

She's fine now, returned back to her modus operandi. But what the hell. She must've been under extreme stress and is now very exhausted. I'm just going to leave her alone for now.

P.s. I just called a tropical vet, and he asked me about her eyes, one of which was diluted a lot more. He said it could've been a mild seizure, also judging from her age. She's at least 12 years old. I'm kinda worried it could be a sign of early onset of disease.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: WTF just happened?

I've never heard of anything like it, I'd trust the vet's advice. Seizure sounds likely.

Nationality
    [Switzerland]

She died last Wednesday. Sadly, I wasn't around to help her like last time.

I suggest she had another 'seizure'. She way laying dead in the water. COD surely was drowning, but what drove her to throw a fit again I don't know.

I've brought her to a tropical pet vet to have her examined.

I still don't think she was having any kind of bacterial infection. Not any of the common ones in WTFs at least.

In retrospect, I sometimes heard an almost painful croaking in my Terrarium at night, which I just assumed were my males practising their croaking skills. But it was surely her. What baffles me most is that she's always been eating well, never had weird poops nor had weird waking hours.

I'll update as soon as I have more info on her.

Nationality
    [Canada]

So sorry for your loss
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

6. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [Switzerland]

Hello,

A lil update. Sorry it took so long, the frog had to be sent to a university to be assessed.

She had severe pneumonia due to lungworms which lead her to sit in the water when in pain. Her suspected COD was confirmed, she drowned.

Now, that I think back, I find myself believing that she's always been kinda odd compared to my other frogs. She was loud and quirky, kinda the opposite of the others. And she loved water very much. I never thought much of it, maybe I should have. My guess is that I just thought that she was different, like all others have specific character traits as well. Maybe those things were much more a display of symptoms and not character.

I got her from a woman who held her captive with Anolis and 5 other WTFs. Besides that you shouldn't keep your frogs together with any other species she also had a very small cage. She didn't even know the sex of her frogs. I have no history of my frog other than her approximate age of 12 -/+ 2 years.
    I remember that when I got her, she was only about 23g which is, in my opinion, way to little for an active, healthy frog. Mind you, she's almost hit 10cm from nose to bum.

She wasn't lethargic, wasn't hiding, wasn't denying food or anything like this. She was getting treatments with Panacur and Praziquantel. So, keep an eye on your frogs, maybe even two.

I couldn't even enjoy my frog for a whole year. So sad she's gone.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry. That's terrible, but I'm glad you were at least able to get answers. Do you know if lungworms are transmissible to other frogs in the tank?

9. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's sad I'm so sorry for your loss.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

11. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Very sorry for your loss

13. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [Switzerland]

Thank you guys very much for your words.

To answer elly's question: Yes, they are transmissible to other frogs in the terrarium. I got a prescription of panacur/Praziquantel for my other 5 frogs. I have to cycle them like so: 5 days of medication - 14 days break - 5 days of medication. Needless to say, my frogs really hate Praziquantel, it's a liquid, fatty like substance and it's also grossly bitter,- so I can understand them.
    I've had them removed from my terrarium as I brought my dead friend to the vet. Everything was removed, disinfected, cooked, baked, scrubbed, soaked, but I'm sure that everythings dead now. They are all quarantined now, and they really don't like it either. But it's for their own good.

I'm hoping for the best!

15. 2 members thank LadyIvy for this post:

Thread Information