Thread: Glass Lid/Humidity problems

Default Glass Lid/Humidity problems

Hello, recently I have had trouble keeping humidity in my Golden Tree Frog's tank. I recently bought a humidifier (aka fogger) that pumps cool mist into the tank, but as soon as I shut it off all of the humidity floats right out of the tank. I have also tried covering the screen top of the tank and that seems to work well as long as the rags I put over the screen are wet, and I am worried about covering too much of the tank and not having sufficient ventilation. So, I was wondering if anybody knows if a glass top is safe to use for tree frogs or if anyone uses one themselves. I know many people who keep dart frogs use them but I was told that tree frogs need sufficient ventilation.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Glass Lid/Humidity problems

I personally would not use a glass top but if used don't cover more than half of the screen top. Most tree frogs like ventilation. Providing live plants in the substrate will help with humidity, as well as sphagnum moss for substrate, which retains a lot of moisture. If you create a living terrarium with a gravel or hydroballs drainage layer the water in this may raise the humidity as water collects. I've found coir and spraying the tank once or twice per day for frogs will provide enough humidity. Make sure the hygrometer your using is accurate, many I have found not to be. If you're using a heat source like a bulb or ceramic, keeping the tank in a warm room and lower the wattage is best.

Thank you for your feedback. You mentioned that not all hydrometers are accurate. Which hydrometer would you recommend to get the best reading on my humidity levels?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

The zoo med humidity gauges seem good enough. I use them for a rough idea but also if the tank looks too wet or dry I will mist anyway. I've used the digital ones made by other big brands before and they've failed quite quickly for me, probably cheaply made but with the brand stuck on

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mveltre123 View Post
    Thank you for your feedback. You mentioned that not all hydrometers are accurate. Which hydrometer would you recommend to get the best reading on my humidity levels?
    If you want to check for accuracy: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/c...e/29/salt-test

Nationality
    [United States]

Don't know how good it is, but when I have trouble keeping humidity in, I cover part of the top of my tank with plastic wrap(I change it every few days to prevent bacterial buildup). Works like a charm. I'm trying to decide on a water feature or a fogger to help in the meantime. Not sure which yet.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I've recently started using a heat mat underneath my green tree frog tank to maintain a warm floor, a heat lamp is positioned over a branch for a basking spot. When the moist substrate is heated it increases the humidity

Thread Information