Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trouble with 4 month old pacman frog, sticking legs out stiff

Default trouble with 4 month old pacman frog, sticking legs out stiff

I have about a 4 month old albino pacman frog, and he has been doing very well up until about 2 weeks ago. he stopped eating by himself, so I was gently assisting him by opening his mouth and placing the dubia roach inside, and then he'd swallow it on his own. I would only feed him about one bug a day like this, sometimes maybe two.

just a couple days ago I dug him up from the substrate and he was very stiff, with his legs out as if he was paralyzed and he wasn't moving. I gently touched his sides and rubbed him a bit and he did wake up and return his legs to normal. my first thought was that maybe he could be impacted, so I started to give him slightly warm soaks daily. yesterday, he made a pretty decent sized poop in his enclosure, and was acting a lot better in terms of behavior, he was moving about more and no more stiffness.

but then today I dug him up as usual for feeding time and he was even stiffer than before, his legs were stuck straight out like he couldn't moved them and his eyes were shut. I honestly thought he was dead and I was about to cry. I gently spritzed him with water and he woke back up again and eventually put his legs back to normal.

I don't think this is normal behavior and I'm getting very worried for him, any input is helpful but I honestly think I might need to take him to a vet. I just wanted to get some opinions on it first.

info about his enclosure:
    temps are 70-80 F
    humidity is around 60-70%, I mist him twice a day, one morning one night
    he's got a water dish though he doesn't seem to use it very often, I don't use tap water AT ALL for him
    substrate is eco earth, there's a good few inches for him to bury in
    I have some spaghnum moss in the enclosure to help keep humidity, but I don't feed him in the enclosure so I don't think he's eaten any moss
    I received him from a breeder in Florida named Alfredo, I looked up things about him and nobody seemed to have any complaints from what I saw

edit:
    I don't know if it's relevant at all but I do have two american toads in my home as well. I've had them for years now

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: trouble with 4 month old pacman frog, sticking legs out stiff

Hey. Your conditions seem great. I would make sure to keep the frog in the high 70s to low 80s during the day. Make sure the heat source provides adequate, usable heat, such as downwards by a heat lamp or ceramic. I used a heat mat on the wall as recommend by some for a while but realised this did not work well. Use a digital thermometer to measure temps, analogue are not the best. It sounds to me like maybe the frog has tried to aestivate. Along with the stiff posture, was there was any signs of cocooning/dried skin? Although the humidity of 60-70% should be fine for cranwell's horned frogs, I've found several hygrometers to fail after a short period of time. A good test is to make sure the substrate is moist, not dry and not wet. What size of tank and how often do you change substrate? I personally would not take to a vet unless there is one that has a good knowledge or reference on amphibians. The best thing to do is fine a good source of info on the species (I've found AVS chacoan horned frogs by Philippe de Vosjoli to be the best reference) follow by the book to make sure conditions are correct

4. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, what brand of vitamins are you using and what is your dusting schedule? it sounds almost like he could have a bad case of MBD or it could be some kind of neurological problem which I don't think is very common but the odd frog does end up having them. I really think you may want to find a vet, it doesn't sound good to me. Also what do use for water if you don't use tap water?

6. 2 members thank monster for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I don't think MBD would cause problems when young just yet but show up with older frogs fed or kept on improper diets or conditions. I would dust every feed with young frogs though, with a high qualitiy supplement such as Repashy. Water could be a factor but if the OP has maintained toads then I'd imagine he or she would know the standard water needed for amphibians

Nationality
    [Canada]

If the op has had his frog for 4 months and hasn't being giving proper calcium the signs would be starting to show, the first few months are the most crucial point of there life for the calcium because all the bones are growing and strengthening and because they have such a fast growth rate also. And the frog would actually be older then 4 months because you have to consider the time its spent with the breeder. Not saying this is what the problem is because they can be doing it all right because it was never mentioned.

9. This member thanks monster for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

That's definitely true, especially for horned frogs but I would expect obvious symptoms to show at a later age when the damage is done but I'm not 100% sure on this. If I were breeding them I would let them eat their siblings, may sound bad but I'd imagine this would happen in the wild and would provide a very good source of calcium and D3

first of all thank you everyone for replying! I also went out and got a new water dish and he has actually been sitting in it for some time now, when he NEVER used to soak in it before. I always just made sure to spritz him with the spray bottle or to place him in the bowl himself. but he actually got into the bowl for the first time and soaked today! anyway I'll try to answer everything I was asked, please let me know if I forgot to reply to a question that was asked!

@monster
    I use Repashy Calcium Plus for dusting, and I usually dust every few feedings, but after reading the replies it's apparent I need to be doing that more! so I will definitely up the dusting from now on. and yes I do say ABOUT 4 months because he did spend some time with the breeder as well before being shipped to me. but I've had him now for about 4 months.

also, for water for my amphibians I use bottled water only!

@jasonm96
    I'm wondering if the humidity meter has gone bad because it doesn't move much anymore. I think I will get a new one asap. I usually keep the substrate damp, but not totally flooded of course.

I use digital thermometers for all of my herps. the analogue ones just. really don't give accurate readings in my experience and the experience of many others I've read.

his skin does get a bit dry, though I thought that was because he wasn't soaking adequately. as I mentioned at the beginning, I changed water bowls and he's been soaking for awhile now so hopefully the dry skin will improve, unless you do think it would have to do with him trying to aestivate.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

No problem Calcium plus is the best IMO, I use it for all my animals. You have to use it at every feed though, it's been designed to provide more balanced calcium and vitamins than other supplements so it can be used this way. Bottled water is also very good. If you need to monitor it so far I've found the Zoo Med hygrometers to be good and a great thing about them is you can attach them and take them off for cleaning, then re-attach wit velcro but as long as the substrate is kept nice and moist they're probably not that important for these frogs. They shouldn't need to soak too much but at night they may use a water dish, especially if they're trying to squeeze one out.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey again ya I would up the dusting but if hes getting calcium mbd shouldn't be the case. IMO Repashy calcium is one of the best if not the best. It could be something neurological almost by the sounds of it. Does his back legs ever spasm or do they just stay stiff. And with something like this again you may want to bring him to a vet for a checkup. oh and yes the zoo med ones are good or I know a lot of people use indoor 2/1's from like walmart or home depot. The honey well one is a good brand. You can put the probe in one end them sit the actual little box on the cold side and it gives you the temp and humidity of both ends. Im using one in my Bearded dragon tank and it works great.

@jasonm96
    ah I see, thank you very much! I was not dusting as much as I should've been and I feel really bad, I thought I was doing everything right but after reading other threads the symptoms seem to sound a lot like MBD. since he hasn't been eating I'm thinking I'm going to buy some liquid calcium, would this be a good idea? he's still plenty fat but he's just not interested in eating. I fed him a dusted cricket a bit ago, he tried to slap it out of his mouth but he did eat it...

@monster
    I THINK they did spasm the first time he did this which was a couple days ago. they didn't spasm today but just were almost straight out and STIFF. and yes I do think I should take him to a herp vet, the vet I take my beardie to though, I don't know if he's good with frogs or not. I will have to do some research and look into the nearest frog vet. but I do have a strong feeling it's the calcium deficiency because the symptoms match and I hadn't been dusting as much as I should've been... (even though I thought I was, I'm still to blame because I should have researched more)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Don't feel bad, you have a positive attitude about the care of your frog and that is great. Even as an adult use calcium plus at every feed, I especially love this supplement because you can do this, without having to remember set days on when to dust with what supplement. Make sure to vary the diet as much as possible, so when big enough feed earthworms, nightcrawlers, superworms, pink mice, roaches but crickets can be stable. Feeder fish will be good to but make sure that they are healthy and from a good source. Gut load food as well. I use carrots, greens and apples on every other day and once per week offer a commercial diet. Repashy offer something called Rescue cal which may be of use but probably best used under a reptile vets recommendations. Apart from the diet I think the most important part of their care is offering the right temperatures. What are you using for this?

@jasonm96
    I actually was not aware that pacmans needed a heat source, the caresheets I read did not say so ;_; it seems I was very misinformed, I feel bad that my poor frog had to suffer because of me not knowing any better. but I am determined to make this right.

it stays 70-80 in my room all the time even at night, that's just how I like it even though everyone thinks it's too hot when they come in my room. should I get a CHE to put over the tank? he is albino so I assume low light would be best.

and I do plan to vary his diet when he gets older! though I do have a question, can I use the worms from fishing bait shops? I have heard mixed things on this, I have heard the worms that bait shops sell have added things to them therefore they're not safe for herps. but I've heard others say they are fine, so I'm unsure.

also, if it helps any, here is a picture of him from a couple weeks ago.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Caresheets can be bad, that book I recommend is what is consider and said many times to be the horned frog bible The conflicting information on the web can be confusing and stressful.

That's all that matters and I wish more people had this way of thinking. I met someone today who had a completely wrong attitude to keeping reptiles and amphibians, so it is refreshing to talk to someone positive.

You want around 78-84 degress during the day and no lower than 70s at night. A ceramic might be the best choice of heating because it supplies a nice radiant heat source which is natural to the frog. In a ten gallon (usually used for babies or males) a 40w should probably do but these heaters are best connected to a pulse-proportional thermostat because they get very hot. I've found them to be very drying. You could use a red bulb, around 40w aswell or 25w if little heat is needed. I use the Zoo Med nightlight red bulbs. I've found some animals to be fine with them on 24/7 but some will hide and so may be best used only for daytime if the animal seems stressed. Because little heat is needed a heat mat may be fine but although others will disagree with me, I think they work best underneath, connected to a thermostat with the probe under the substrate so the glass doesn't get too hot. Because these frogs are burrowers some are against this method but others have used it with success, heat from above is generally considered better.

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I can easily get them from the pet shop so haven't needed to go to a fish bait store. If unsure it may be best to get them from a pet store but wait and see what others say, maybe they can shed light.

I think your frog looks perfectly healthy just now

Nationality
    [Canada]

Don't put anything to bright if you use a light. A little 40 watt CHE may work to help get you up a couple degrees. Hes not very big, if everything else is ok husbandry wise and if its not MBD I think you may have just got a frog that got the bad end of gene pool. Its hard to say because he doesn't look bad in this picture. I take it he is the lime green albino from the pictures?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I didn't mention a lot about heating because I knew Jason cover the part about lights. L.O.L If your in the states I think your Walmarts sell the nightcrawlers and so does petsmart. Just don't get dyed ones and you can tell which ones are dyed because they actually glow.

@jasonm96
    I do know how you feel about attitude, I run a blog about my bearded dragon and some people just seem to assume whatever they have heard is the absolute correct way which results in their lizard becoming sick due to loose substrate, improper care and so on. I always try to keep an open mind and if someone brings something up to me I look into it just to be sure. I just hope I can set things right so that my frog can have a happy life from now on.

he is in a 10 gallon atm, I'd like to go with a UTH + thermostat if possible, that's what I'm experienced with because my geckos and the two toads all have UTHs. the geckos both have them on the bottom since they need belly heat for digestion, but the toads is on the side. so why are some people against the frogs' UTH being on the bottom? because it will get too hot? with the thermostat it will switch off if it even gets a couple degrees hotter than what you set it as, so I would think it'd be fine wouldn't it?

I will look into it about the worms, I can't purchase earthworms or nightcrawlers at the pet store, only supers and crickets. I buy dubia roaches online and am starting a colony of them to reduce how often I need to buy them. I imagine I can just buy worms online as well.

here is another photo of him, this was taken about a week ago and he still looks quite good, so I'm hoping I caught this early and can set it right

@monster
    whoops, sorry I didn't see your post before I replied to jason
    ah ok, so walmart worms are safe as long as they don't glow?

I think I will get him a UTH with thermostat if that would be okay. he doesn't seem too bothered by light but he IS an albino and I know they can be sensitive so if I can't go with the UTH I'll do the CHE 40 watt.

I am honestly not sure if he's a lime green, they just told me he's an albino (I had originally ordered a red/strawberry whatever they call the color, but the pet shop went ahead and got the albino since they were out of red pacs, and I took him happily since I thought he was beautiful anyway)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Its hard to say whats wrong because out of all honesty IMO that little bugger looks fine in that picture. My big female is the exact same kind and this picture makes me wish I could shrink her back to a baby. Shes 4.5 inches now. People say not to put the uth on the bottom because in the wild they burrow during the day to escape the hot sun and daytime predators and to absorb the moisture in the ground. The argument is we should try and keep things as natural to them as possible. As I always say when you go to a beach or somewhere there is sand or soil in the summer the further you dig down the cooler it will become not warmer. And they come out at night because the temps drop. I personally wouldn't put one on the bottom of mine but that's just my opinion, if someone else chooses to I know that it is recommended in some books and others have done it so im not going to be the guy sending out the UTH lynch mob. L.O.L Everybody has there own preference and what works for some may not work for others. And again that guys to cute. Im editing, ya if he had those greens the whole time he is the lime albino, they tend to lose the green when they get older but they form some really nice oranges on there back and head. And ya they inject the worms so they are easier for the fish to see in the dark waters.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I think everyone should be open-minded. I have a bearded dragon, I think substrate should be what the animals live upon in the wild, so sandy soil. I've seen something like this now brought out by Pro Rep, I'm going to try it.

Some people are against it because the fear of burning the frogs or going against the natural burrowing behavior. IMO this can be sorted by a thermostat, like you said, with the probe under the substrate and making sure the mat covers only a third of the floor so the frog can burrow in the unheated place. Cory is right though. One thing to consider is heat mats are mostly contact heaters so don't warm the ambient air much and instead heat whatever lies on top of it, great for snakes and some geckos. So for tree frogs they work well on the side but not so much for terrestrial frogs, so I would put it on the bottom or heat from above with a lamp. I have found incandescent bulbs to be the best source of heat and red bulbs will probably be best for an abino. Because your room temperature isn't cold, a low wattage bulb would probably do and so wouldn't cause too much drying. Just do what you feel is right. The frog looks good to be and so you probably have caught it early, fingers crossed

@monster
    yeah I do believe he's had the greens on his sides since I got him! I don't mind what color he ends up being, I just want him to be alright, he's my lil buddy after all! I'm not sure. maybe I will get the CHE 40 watt. I was just worried it would make a 10 gallon TOO hot because of such a small area.

@jasonm96
    I think I will get the CHE, we have one of those red night light bulbs but I don't honestly like those, my beardie had one and she didn't seem to sleep very well, and when we changed it she started sleeping good. or maybe it was totally unrelated, who knows. and then again frogs and lizards are very different so maybe it wouldn't affect a frog the same way.

but how would I get the CHE working with a thermostat? I've never even used a CHE so I'm pretty nervous about it, that's why I'm inclined to go with the UTH but it does seem better to have more of an ambient air for my frog.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information