Thread: Shedding Issues

Default Shedding Issues

Hi everyone!

My albino african clawed frog is just recently adopted from a teacher who didn't want it in her class anymore. I got the frog in a scummy five gallon aquarium with very little water that you couldn't even see through. I hurriedly set up a ten gallon aquarium for her and bought the terra whisper 10 filter for the tank as well as an air pump. I've only had the frog for 3 or so days and I've noticed she is shedding in tiny fragments and is doing so over an extended period of time (as long as I've had her). She looks around adult size and is albino. I'm using spring water, three fake plants and stones as substrate, if that helps. She head butts the rocks every now and then. She hasn't eaten since I've had her; I've been trying to feed her reptomin floating food pellets since that's what she's supposedly been eating her whole life. She responds normally to any loud commotion and darts over to the plants to try and hide, so I think that's healthy. But why does she head butt the rocks?
    And why is it taking her so long to shed her skin and to acquire an appetite?

Any help is very Mich appreciated, Thanks!

P.S. if it helps, here is a picture of the setup I have her in now...

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Shedding Issues

Have you checked the ammonia and nitrite levels? Sometimes high levels of either can cause similar effects. It is very common in new tanks.

Thanks, will do!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Excessive shedding is generally caused by a bacterial infection due to poor husbandry. From your description, the frog was not cared for properly in the past. These frogs have a special skin secretion that has antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral chemicals which protects them from disease or injury. Poor husbandry breaks down this barrier. I suggest you use a water conditioner called Stress-Coat which helps repair damaged skin. I have been using this product for many years with my ACFs and never had any problems with disease. Given time, these frogs may heal themselves. However, as an ACF keeper, you need to remain vigilant. If there is any unusual discoloration, post ASAP with pictures, if possible or a complete description. Keep the temperature between 68-72 (F). Check water chemistry often. If you let me know, I can give you optimum specifications. Good luck!
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thanks so much!

Just found out the nitrates were pretty high, just put solution in there to help the filter run better, Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Nitrites I ment lol

Thread Information