Thread: Heating Glass Vivariums

Default Heating Glass Vivariums

Hi, I recently set up my first vivarium; 45x45x45 Exo Terra glass vivarium. I'm planning on housing 2 White's Tree Frogs when the conditions stay suitable for several days straight. At the moment I've attached a heat mat to the lower back of the tank and plugged that into a ministat currently set at 29c. Inside the enclosure I've got coco fibre substrate, a water dish, a plastic leaf vine, a standing dripper plant and a small vine; I've got logs and other artifical plants on the way in the post. My digital thermometer probe is almost exactly in the middle of my vivarium to get a general reading, but the internal temperature is only 23.4c. Obviously it needs to be 25-30c air temperature, so is there any way to boost that heat? Or will I need to get a CHE and try to then control it alongside the heat mat? Any advice is appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Heating Glass Vivariums

Ditch the heat mat, whites and most frogs I've had like to bask. Also, when using a heat mat they do not really warm the air temperature and mostly just the glass attached to, so although the middle of your tank is that temp, the glass where the mat is attached to may be a lot hotter. I'd use a 25-40w zoo med daylight blue or red bulb and then a 5% UVB for the frogs lighting and UVB needs. The heat lamp will create a basking spot but will also warm the ambient air temperature. If your tank drops below 65f at night you can use the red bulb or a ceramic but there's not need to use the heat mat as well. If you choose the ceramic this should be controlled with a thermostat, such as the microclimate b2me

Thread Information