Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rescued a sick FBT, won't eat. Any help would be great!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Rescued a sick FBT, won't eat. Any help would be great!

Although now that I've looked into it further, it seems that the UV bulbs that are being sold for herps and reptiles have come down in price dramatically since I looked at them last year. But still in a small viv, I'd just use a one light system with a tube that also puts out UV. GE doesn't make it easy to find the info for the light spectrums, but they do publish it. Both the wavelength and strength.

The FBT's can't read the charts from zoo-med, but I'm sure they can figure out how long they want to bask and how close to the light they want to get. We just need to give them the means to do it.

2. This member thanks privet01 for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I never said anything needed a basking light (though the toads would enjoy it) I said they are known to bask in the wild, meaning they would receive UVB from the sun, like they would with a UVB bulb. I know they aren't tropical animals, I keep mine at a steady 75F just now. Hmm, I just wouldn't chance it, I'd rather pay £10-£20 more on a bulb and know it's the right one.

If you decide to take on an animal, look up the latest care from good sources and get the equipment needed before getting the animal or be prepared to pay additional costs and be in an awkward situation but I've found a lot of it to be trial and errors along the way. I'm guilty of underestimating how much frogs would cost to keep when I first started out but I paid the cost and I've spent a lot of money on my frogs and I ain't well off. I understand you're in a bad situation but I don't understand how you can bring the price of the animal into the situation. You can keep them without UVB, it's been done but it's been proven that it benefits them and all diurnal animals share a relationship with the sun. Ideally, I'd recommend when you have the money just get a cheap light dome and 5% uvb, in the mean time make sure dust with calcium with D3

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

We need to provide the right levels of UVB in the first place, though so they can use it properly. Too high or too low is no good. A simple reptisun 5.0 or UVB100 compact would be fine on a 10 gallon

Kay. You must be Jesus, preaching to everyone. Bye!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Y'know what, I can't deal with people like you. Claiming you rescued the toad but you can't justify paying for the necessities because the toad is cheap. If you're looking for advice, I can give it to you but if you want someone to tell you what you wanna hear maybe a forum isn't for you

8. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I had a neighbor that believed anyone that didn't brush the dogs teeth regularly was abusing the animal and should be put in jail. Thankfully I didn't own a dog.

As for what you've provided for the frog, I think it's more than adequate. Jason's got some good points, but as you already are doing just use what you know and consider the advice of others. And always work within your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Y'know what, I can't deal with people like you. Claiming you rescued the toad but you can't justify paying for the necessities because the toad is cheap. If you're looking for advice, I can give it to you but if you want someone to tell you what you wanna hear maybe a forum isn't for you
    I can't stand people like you, probably buy everything with mummy's credit card. The conditions he was in is deplorable and he's lucky I was the one who found and rescued him. Just because you can go and spend all your money on things you really don't need (we can be honest, none of us particularly require herps and pets for bare subsistence) doesn't mean other people can. Many frogs do fine without UVB as I've read and others have suggested. I'm sorry Jason, I can't make $30 appear in my wallet when I have literally nothing left. Please oh merciful lord forgive me for my animal cruelty.

Privet, and Jason to a lesser extent, thank you both for your advice, you've helped me make his life way better than it was and he is eating regularly now and has a fat belly. Makes me happy .

Jason, when giving advice being condescending and not realizing that others situation isn't the same as you defeats the point of giving advice. Maybe you can take that to heart before suggesting that someone, who rescued an animal and spent all of his spare money for the month to give it a good home, should go without a roof and heat for a few months because he needs to give his pet an overpriced and branded light fixture.

Thank you both once again.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

No, I do not use mummy's credit card and I work hard for my money. If I decide to take on animals I then decide to take on the responsibility to provide the best captive environment I or anyone can provide. Although I have a life, so do they and I wish for it to be as comfortable as they can have. Truth is, I have a disability and because of this have a job that just barely pays the bills and yet I put my animals first. I can understand you're in a bad situation but I don't think that's a valid excuse for your attitude. I must admit, I may come off wrong but I only try to help you and espeically the animals. There has been studies on bombina orientalis that has showed they DO benefit from UVB and most reptile product or lighting brands now recommend it. Also reptile bulbs are tweaked to provide the right UVB and uv Ray's in general and are especially designed for them, where as hardware bulbs may not provide this and potentionally be dangerous. Many amphibians do require UVB such as whites, monkey tree frogs and leopard frogs to name a few and may suffer the consequences without it. I did not claim you were abusing your animals but the way you bring the retail price of an animal into it shocks me. I hope you get in a better financial point and that you're toad enjoys a long, happy life. I wish we could have been on better terms but honestly, I was just trying to use the information I have learned to help you provide the best care possible.
    Last edited by jasonm96; March 24th, 2016 at 06:06 PM.

And after three times of me stating that I CAN'T get a bulb you are still bashing my head over it.

I have cerebral palsy, so the "I have a disability" can't really be used against me. I have 7 other animals and I'm not going to let them all starve because froggie needs a fancy light.

The subject of this topic has been resolved and anything else is kicking a dead horse. Thanks all!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear. I have autism more and did not share this an excuse but as a real life problem and this does come into the financial situation but I get release from the beautiful amphibians and reptiles, and so show gratitude to them. Cheers

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Rescued a sick FBT, won't eat. Any help would be great!

Hi Leo, can you get hold of wax worms? I feed these to mine when they need to put on a bit of weight, the reptile shop recommended cutting them up but mine have no trouble swallowing them whole. As you have said you would, I'd suggest staying clear of mealworms, I've always been told it's a no go. Mine are spoilt and are used to being hand fed, they also don't see anything if it's on the ground but will leap into the air to take something out of my hand. Or just try and eat my fingers, they are not fussy lol. Also mine go off their food every now and again, what I do if they are not snatching the wax worms is I gently rub the worm on their nose/mouth, they seem to get annoyed, open their mouths and accidentally take the worm in the process. Hope this helps. I started my collection with a rescue just like yours, he unfortunately never put on the weight and frequently wouldn't eat. But I know I gave him a good life for his last year by providing him friends and a nice environment. Hope he does well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information