Thread: Update on my frog and new question

Default Update on my frog and new question

So, my frog Aayla (whose name was Damien until I found out he was probably a she) has been doing pretty well for the last couple months. She went through a rough patch when I first got her where she wouldn't eat and stayed burrowed almost all the time, but after a while she started eating everyday and seemed like a healthy pacman. For a few weeks she was spending almost all her time in her massive water bowl, and I would take her out to feed her and she'd eat as much as she could. But recently she's just been hanging out above the substrate and if I put her in the water she'd jump out. I noticed a few days ago her eyes seemed a little weird. They weren't open all the way like they usually are when she's about to eat, it looked like just a small part of her pupil was showing and the rest was closing in on it. She didn't eat that day. I remembered she hadn't gone to the bathroom in a while so I filled up her water bowl with warm water and put her in there. Next morning I found her out of the water bowl, but she seemed to have gone to the bathroom. And the cricket I left in there for her overnight was gone. I thought her going to the bathroom would make her want to eat but she hasn't eaten anything since she went. All she's eaten in the past 3ish days was one small cricket, and she usually eats 2-3 a day. Is this normal? She seemed perfectly fine but now she doesn't really seem to wanna eat anymore.

Also, I kept an eye on her and noticed she's been doing this weird contorting thing with her body. Like she's trying to stretch and twist her body at the same time. What could that be?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Update on my frog and new question

The not eating problem can be due to many different factors like stress, and enviorment not being maintained or it could just be because it isn't hungry. My fantasy frog just went three days without eating and today ate its first pinky.

The problem with contorting thing can be a big problem and it could be metabolic bone disease (MBD) or toxing out syndrome.

Metabolic bone disease occurs when the frog isn't receiving the proper calcium and d3 needed to process the calcium. Are you feeding it only crickets and if so are they dusted with any vitamins or calcium? A varied diet is important for these guys and they need the proper nutrients.

"Toxing out" occurs when the water or substrate inside the habitat has become foul and the toxins have been absorbed by the frog. If you suspect the frog is toxing out, place the frog into a small water bowl and leave it there, changing the water every four hours while you clean the habitat.

I suggest reading this short book to help you out http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ie=UTF8&btkr=1

its very informative, short and to the point.

Thread Information