Thread: California toad and loneliness

Default California toad and loneliness

So here is the scoop my California toad Jabba has been acting strangely since Zorba another California toad passed away. Since Zorba has passed Jabba won't eat and won't get out of its pool. Now he used to love baby tree frogs and meal worms but he just ignores them, I've tried crickets, pill bugs, worms, night crawlers, even winged insects after I de-wing them, I am at a loss of what to do. Well besides finding another companion which is out of my reach at this time.

Anything you guys may know that can help in this situation?

Jabba was found trapped in a manhole, surrounded by decomposing frogs, snakes and other dead things. In a newly developed housing project.

Help me, obi-wan Kenobi! [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: California toad and loneliness

Frogs don't typically feel loneliness, they are loner species in nature, only meeting other frogs during the breeding season typically. What it sounds like is you're feeding the wrong foods, amphibians can't digest bones very well, and wild caught (WC) baby tree frogs may have parasites or be toxic to the toad. I suggest feeding calcium/vitamin dusted crickets, calcium/vitamin dusted Canadian night-crawlers, (Lobe worms/big earthworms, sold at Walmart and fishing stores across the US) and dusted Dubia roaches. Any pictures of the toad and the setup? UVB is also good for them, as it helps them make calcium and vitamins that their bones need to stay healthy

I guess I should of been more thorough with my explanation, the only thing that is wild caught are the pillbugs and winged insects. For the last 3 years I have been raising meal worms, crickets, tree frogs and mice for food and treats for my chickens, snakes, lizards and toads. My lizards and toads are fed dusted crickets Monday/Wednesday/Friday meal worms Tuesday/Thursday and nightcrawlers Saturday and Sunday(I have a lot of free time). The tree frogs I toss in the pool are usually half metamorphosed. Never actually seen them eat those they just tend to vanish. Being about 2 hours from the nearest town with shopping I've found its easier just doing it myself.

The cage is one of my biggest it was made for my 8' boa that passed away a little before I found Jabba it is around 5'wx10'lx4'h and haven't had a reason to change it. The pool is 5.5 gallon fish tank. I clean the cage once a week more so to catch what feeders had escaped the voracious pair!

It is just weird how Jabba drastically changed after zorba's death, it's a huge cage and they happened to always be together, including hiding in the same den.

Don't worry I know I sound weird putting these emotions on a toad, but nothing has changed.

I also never touch my toads, or hand feed them (I really enjoy watching the hunt, Jabba has such horrible aim) or handle even when cleaning I usually just shoo them into one of my many mini cages.

The vets around me are specialize in large animals like horses, cows and all that, so they have been far from helpful. one actually told me she would just google the issue for me. I laughed and called it a day.

So I guess there must of been some type of cross contamination or as you said parasite that found its way in. I also use well water but just recently installed a reverse osmosis system. My water was getting dingy when it rained for long periods so maybe the dingy water allowed something harmful in.

I just hope he starts eating soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. This member thanks pischtoph for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What it may be is that it thinks something killed it? Maybe it feels stress because it thinks the "Predator" that killed the other toad is still lurking around? I think it is somehow related to parasites or some other fixable problem. I know it's spring, but what are his temperatures? The lower temps may be reducing his hunger and general activity, but I don't know

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'd look into the possibility of illness. Not getting out of the water is a classic sign of being sick.

I noticed you just switched to reverse osmosis? That can be hard on a frog's kidneys and it lacks elements they need. See here= http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Spring_water.shtml

If the water had been cloudy because of some kind of bacteria bloom or heavy metal that might have been a problem too.

When did you switch to reverse osmosis? Because if the frog started showing symptoms a little bit after, it was probably that. If it stopped eating before or during the switch it might be something else.

8. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you know what killed your first toad? If it was a contagious illness; there's a chance that Jabba has it too. Btw, do you know the cause of death of your boa and did the boa die in that enclosure also?

Thread Information