Thread: HELP Shenron the Pacman Frog - VERY Swollen Upper Lip!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Unhappy HELP Shenron the Pacman Frog - VERY Swollen Upper Lip!

1. Size of enclosure - 10 gallon tank
    2. # of inhabitants - 1 Ornate Pacman Frog
    3. Humidity - 80-85%
    4. Temperature - 67°F in cool area, 75°F in warm area
    5. Water - Distilled water for misting and water dish
    6. Materials used for substrate - Eco Earth Coco Husk
    7. Enclosure set up - Artificial plants, substrate changed every 3 - 4 weeks, lots of shade, artificial rock hut to hide under
    8. Main food source - Crickets
    9. Vitamins and calcium? - Crickets dusted with D3 and calcium, probably not as often as I should
    10. Lighting - Night lamp (purple bulb) 40W (lamp has a dial for temp regulation) - 12 hours per day
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - Night lamp for and heat pad on the side of the tank
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - Today
    13. Have you found poop lately - Yes
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) - Pictures to follow
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area - Frog has a swollen lip that has slowly been getting bigger over the past few weeks. It is even on both side and is not squishy. It is getting pretty big though and I'm worried. Other than that, he has been eating "normally" (ever since I got him he hasn't eaten much, in the past two months it's been harder to feed him but he has been eating). His lower jaw looks fine, his legs and belly look normal (no swelling or redness).
    16. How old is the frog - Between 1 year and 1.5 years
    17. How long have you owned him/her - Since he was about 6-8 weeks?
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - Captive bred I believe, got him at a reptile show
    19. Frog food - Crickets, he has eaten a few small horn worms, but he won't eat worms any more. I have tried wax worms and silks.
    20. How often the frog is handled - When he was hunting food, I would take him out every 2-3 days to put him in a feeding area (he was impacted once). Now he is tong fed so he is handled less.
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - Relatively low
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) - Substrate changed every 3-4 weeks, water dish changed weekly, cage is misted as much as needed for humidity, usual a few times per day. There is a mister set up for when I am at work, etc.

***Tried to upload photos but it won't let me upload a .jpeg, it says it is not valid image file.
    Last edited by skellyx; March 14th, 2016 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Trying to upload photos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: HELP Shenron the Pacman Frog - VERY Swollen Upper Lip!

Hi, For the photo you will need to upload it to a photo hosting site then copy and paste the link or picture to your thread. Here is some of the things in your answers that could be fixed in your enclosure. First the heat is to low, you want to try and get it to about 80f to 82f during the day on the warm side and you can let it drop to around the 75f at night. I know they say they can be kept at room temps but that is false. The humidity you want around 75%, 85 is to high. I keep mine at around 75%. For the water you want to use spring water or declorinated tap water, and not soft water from the tap. If you have a water softner it will have to be bypassed while doing water/substrate changes. Distilled or R/O water is not good due to the fact its so pure, there is nothing mineral wise in it. So when your animal sits in it all it is doing is drawing all the good minerals and stuff that your frog needs out of him. Its good for misting though, just not for bathing or expanding substrate. Also you want to change his water dish everyday if hes been in it and if he hasn't been in it every second day at least. I do every day no matter what. The eating he may not be hungry the last couple months because they do tend to slow down abit in the winter, my oldest pacman also slowed down a lot on the feeding over the winter. Now for the lip with out a picture its hard to say, it could be a bacterial infection and if this is case you will need a vet for meds. Do you notice if maybe there is a cut or something around the lip causing it to swell. Or have you noticed if hes been rubbing on the glass at all?

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: HELP Shenron the Pacman Frog - VERY Swollen Upper Lip!

I noticed that you feed your frog crickets and worms. I have seen instances where frogs have had their mouths damaged by eating live vertebrae (mice and such). The way that pac man kill their prey leads them venerable to bites from the prey and sometimes the prey can bite the inside and outside of the mouth because it is obviously being threatened being swallowed whole by the frog. Their mouth can also be damaged when lunging at prey and striking fixed objects like rocks or unsafe feeding tongs. These injury's can lead to mouth rot, see link http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1796&aid=2385 . I hope this isn't the case but might want to read this just in case. I know the link mentions snakes and reptiles but I know that pac man frogs can get mouth rot. I hope your little dude gets better soon

Thread Information