Thread: Brand new froglets dying :(

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Brand new froglets dying :(

So I posted an earlier thread about one of my cute new froglets, unfortunately he passed away. He seemed to somewhat have trouble eating, he wasn't very good at catching his food, but I saw a couple of droppings so I thought he was ok, then out of nowhere he died and was all shriveled up.

Next tadpoles a few tadpoles transitioned together and were doing great. Then I find another one dead and dried out. Flash forward to today and I find yet another one dried out, but this one was so horribly shriveled it didn't look like a frog. It looked like a larger poo at first but then I saw it's tiny little legs all shriveled, when just the night before he looked perfectly fine. Then my boyfriend said it didn't seem like they were eating as much as the other three who have already fattened up.

The other three are still doing great, I'm just worried out of my mind that another one won't make it.

I'm keeping them in a large critter keeper with a wet paper towel on the bottom, a small shallow water dish (with dechlorinated water) a few plastic plants and a log for them to hide under. I mist them at least 2 times a day, but the ones that survived have been hanging out in the water dish a lot. I keep them at room temp which is low to mid 70s and they have plenty of ventilation so it doesn't get too humid.

Has anyone had this happen before?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

They're Pacific Chorus froglets. Another thing that is a little strange is all of them have been about half the size of the ones I rescued when they transitioned. idk if you can really tell. The first pic is of the girls as babies and the second is the babies I have now. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

wes

I put a post on your other thread about flightless fruit flies. I just saw the date. Sorry bout the little ones.

wes

Theres a link to a post on my page someone put down with lots of info.check it out

wes

Figured out how to do it. Here u go if you haven't seen this yet

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Brand new froglets dying :(

Quote Originally Posted by Jessalyn View Post
    ...I'm keeping them in a large critter keeper with a wet paper towel on the bottom, a small shallow water dish (with dechlorinated water) a few plastic plants and a log for them to hide under. I mist them at least 2 times a day, but the ones that survived have been hanging out in the water dish a lot. I keep them at room temp which is low to mid 70s and they have plenty of ventilation so it doesn't get too humid.

Has anyone had this happen before?
    Recommend removing plastic plants and log. Let them stay on damp paper towel and change that daily for their first few weeks. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks had another one pass away, but the other two are doing great, so I'm wondering if they had something that wasn't preventable. I even got bottled water (bottled at the source) instead of dechlorinating my own water. I'll definitely take the plants and log out and see if that helps I don't know if I can take it if another one dies and I have been feeding them fruit flies / pin heads for the one that's a little bigger and they're growing every day. And Wes that's a really good article I love it! How many PCFs do you have?

On the bright side, my other girls that I raised from freshly hatched tads are huge now!

wes

I have four

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Still treat the bottled water. I treat all of my water just to be on the safe side. My bottled water is bottled at the source too, doesn't guarantee safety though.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

13. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

If they were poisoned by the chlorine does that make them stop eating then shrivel up to a shell? I haven't used the bottled water yet so I'll treat it right away but I was treating my tap water which hasn't been giving me any issues and they were fine with it as tadpoles the other two are still doing great, eating good and I'm hoping to keep it that way! Thanks for your help guys

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

could it be possible that something you put in the tank was contaminated? was anything used in a fish tank previously or with another type of reptile? just reaching here..
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

Nationality
    [United States]

Nope it was all brand new and sanitized. When I got the tadpoles, they looked pretty haggard so I'm wondering if tadpoles can possibly carry parasites if it's not the water that's killing them? I think these two are going to make it but I have three more tadpoles that are about to transition and I'm super worried

wes

I had a bunch of tadpoles and I only have that made it. Probably nothing you did dont feel bad. I was so sad when mine didnt make it

Were they wild caught or bred ? Because if they are shriveling up, this sounds like Chytrid. It attacks the keratin in the skin and stops osmotic regulation (the controlled flow of water in the skin). They retain some water in their body and die of cardiac arrest. Other tell tale signs can be digit (finger, and toe curling) hyper-sensitive skin (they almost seem in pain when being handled.) Tadpoles are carriers of chytrid due to lack of keratin in the skin. It stays in their mouths and can cause lack of pigmentation and mouth deformities. Once they metamorphosize the fungus is able to take hold of them.

I'm very sorry for your loss, I saw this thread while I was replying to someone else's situation which was similar and decided to take a look. Good news is though that it is possible that the ones that are still alive could show to be immune to chytrid or whatever pathogen is causing it. My recommendation is the same as it was ot the other poster, if you can take them to a vet who deals with amphibians and they can test for things such as ranavirus, chytrid, etc and possibly treat it depending on how far along the illness is and what specifically is the problem.

Thread Information