Thread: Help with dying froglets

Member needs to set country!

Default Help with dying froglets

This past fall my dad came across some albino tadpoles (most likely green frogs) in a puddle down in the farm fields around here. Up until this point we've been keeping them in a tank with an aerator, feeding them algae pellets, and changing the water regularly, and they've been doing fine.

Now that they'd begun to grow legs we set up a separate tank with some shallow water and land, got them some small crickets, but they just won't eat.. and now two of them have died. I don't want to lose the others but I can't find what I'm supposed to do anywhere. I know they don't eat until their tails are gone, but the tails were gone, and as far as I could tell they starved themselves to death.

How do I keep the other nine from ending up the same way?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Help with dying froglets

What country/state are you in and is there any way to get pics of the taddies ? Also, have you noticed any signs of disease ? Chytrid fungus ? Etc, if needed I can provide some good links for spotting it as I just wrote an article on Chytrid.

Without knowing what species or anything about their health I can't answer anything as of yet. This is why I asked for a location and pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Help with dying froglets

I live in Pennsylvania. This is the only picture I have at the moment, I'll try to get more in the morning;

I'm pretty sure they're green frogs (they're common around here and the froglets have little ridges down their back, so not bull frogs).
    I didn't notice any sign of disease like a fungus. If they had it my Grey Tree Frogs would probably have it too by this point, but they're fine.

As far as health, they're perfectly fine as tadpole. Then they morph and I put them in a separate tank, but they don't want to eat. The one who just died sat on land for a day hardly moving, which I figured was a bad sign, but I couldn't make him eat even by waving it in his face.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Most times I've had tadpoles I just release them when they become frogs, but these ones will die due to their coloring if I do that.

Did you handle the ones that died at all ? The reason I am asking is one sign of chytrid is that frogs that have it tend to not like to be handled, one theory is that the fungus causes their skin to be hypersensitive due to the amount of pain that they may be in. Sitting and not moving or attempting to eat could also be a possible sign of chytrid. Sometimes frogs that have will actually sit out in the sun to the point of receiving ultra-violet burns on their skin. The problem with detecting chytrid though early on is it attacks the keratin in the skin on frogs once they metamorph and it stays dormant until they do since tadpoles lack keratin in the skin but have in their mouths. One way you can check is to look for mouth deformities and the lack of pigmentation in and around the mouths as well. If they lack color around the mouth or the mouth is deformed I wouldn't 100% rule out chytrid however, there are other diseases it could be as well. I'm posting a few resources along with this about identifying bd (chytrid) and some possible treatments if it looks like that's what it is.. To be honest though the only real way to know what is killing them if it keeps happening is to take them to a vet and have them tested or purchase a kit from joshs frogs which can be sent in and tested for a whole range of diseases and pathogens.

Chytrid resources:

How to recognize Chytrid

Labs that can test for Chytrid (listed at the bottom of article)

Chytrid Treatments

Green Frogs Resources:

PAHerps page (id'ing info for both adults and larvae stages)

Ranavirus information

IfI find anything else worth posting, I will and maybe someone else can add some helpful insight to this as well.

Well, if that is what it is, there isn't anything I can do. I didn't really notice any mouth deformities though (can't look for loss of pigment since these are albino and have none).

Is there any other reason a frog won't eat though? Just in case there might still be a way to save them..

And I didn't handle them much- I know you shouldn't touch them too often because you ever know what's on your skin. Only time I really did was to put it on land so I could try to feed it, and when I put it down it didn't really move.

On another note, I have a UVA light, but I'm not sure how long I should leave that on- don't want to hurt them since they lack pigment and all.

Not sure on the UVA lighting myself. When it comes to feeding though have you tried to feed them algae pellets? If they eat them still, I would keep them on that and slowly try to transition them to crickets. Almost like weaning a puppy off of milk. Another question is could it be the new container? Some frogs stress out when changing habitats and may not eat when stressed out, it could be the combo of metamorphosis combined with new surroundings. I'm also not ruling out the fact it could just be health problems as animals with albinism in some species are just more prone to genetic disorders. So it might not be anything your doing, they could just have something genetically wrong with them too.

Thread Information