Thread: Firebelly tads first day on land

Default Firebelly tads first day on land

First day on land for these two. So tiny. Another 4 almost ready and about 15 more still developing.
    https://youtu.be/AAMhtTDpkNY
    https://youtu.be/OR27wFIK__s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. 3 members thank ericbrookey for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Firebelly tads first day on land

So adorable! You've done a good job raising them!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey, that's so cool. I can just imagine how small they would be due to the fact that firebellies aren't very big full grown. Its funny watching them hop around on there newly acquired legs, thanks for sharing.

6. This member thanks monster for this post:

Thanks to you both. It's been pretty cool to see them grow. I just hope I do ok with them now that they are on land. They seem so fragile and I can't tell if they are eating the fruit flies or not. I dont see as many but I haven't seen them take one yet. They sure spend time scaling the glass that's for sure. Will just keep dumping flies in hoping. Waiting for the pinheads to arrive.

All 8 tads made it out and are doing well. At least 20 more still swimming.
    https://youtu.be/RHz8cFZNK5I

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Awesome!

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Evan I.F.S.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Aww they are lovely, my fingers are crossed for you. I let mine breed the previous two years and lost everyone of my babies because they just don't seem to want to eat at this stage. I offered mine fruit flies but it's like they just didn't know what to do with them have you found any good information on how to care for them at this stage?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

^If you want them to eat a lot and grow fast, give them a basking spot in the upper 70s and up to the low 80sF, provided by a heat lamp. they will bask under for hours and eat up to two times a day when provided with one

12. 2 members thank jasonm96 for this post:

Hey all..thanks for stopping by. Since my last post, I lost all of the first batch, not exactly sure why. Through some trial and obvious error, the second and third group have done much better. Ive only lost a couple and the rest appear to be doing very well. The biggest change I made was to provide an inch or two of water in a bare bottom tank, rather than any diet or paper towels. I clean and change the water every couple of days. I feed fruit flies dusted with supplement into a couple pieces of dw sitting partially submerged. I lose a few of the flies in the water but most make it to some java moss that is submerged just at the surface.

When the first group grew big enough to outcompete the others for food, I moved them into a larger tank with similar setup. Only difference is a large water dish, filled with soil and a flat piece of dw to dump flies on. Ive also started feeding pinhead crickets to these guys. When the others get bigger, they will move to this tank to grow out.

So far, I think this method is working. I will try Jason's basking idea on the bigger tank, thanks Jason!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

14. 2 members thank ericbrookey for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

@ericbrookey, Not to be nosy, but what will you do with them? I'd like to add a few more FBT's to my group, but a major concern is that I'll wind up with a female and have a sudden population explosion. I just don't have the space or inclination to want to deal with so many, and juveniles at that. Nor do I have friends or other connections with this same interest that I can give them to.

Quote Originally Posted by privet01 View Post
    @ericbrookey, Not to be nosy, but what will you do with them? I'd like to add a few more FBT's to my group, but a major concern is that I'll wind up with a female and have a sudden population explosion. I just don't have the space or inclination to want to deal with so many, and juveniles at that. Nor do I have friends or other connections with this same interest that I can give them to.
    My plan was to keep a few and rehome the rest. I currently have about 10 growing out so I might keep 2 or 3 to go with the 6 adults. Are they not available in your area?

It took almost a year for them to lay and I'm sure it will happen again but I can tell you that many, many tadpoles didn't make it from the adult tank. Either I couldn't find them or they were eaten by the parents. I'm guessing they laid over 100 eggs in about 4-5 batches.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Firebelly tads first day on land

Yes I'm gonna do a bit of research because before I started looking around in this forum I've never ever heard of giving them light or a heat source. Mine have a light but only for me, so I can see them a little bit better. Don't think I can go through the heartbreak of breeding them again. Can they go straight onto pin heads cus flies are a pain in the **** and end up with them all over the house

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Unlike most amphibians, because Fire-bellied toads are active during the day and bask in sunlight, UVB and a basking site is best offered to re-create wild conditions. The difference you see in posture, appetite and behaviour is huge

19. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ericbrookey View Post
    Are they not available in your area?
    FBT's?? Yes they are available and cheap. I just don't want to deal with the potential of having them lay eggs and the subsequent cycle of life. I'm too old to want babies and teenagers!

Perhaps I could put a birth control pill in the water each day! (that's sarcasm for you guys that take every statement as literal intent)

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Obvs it will depend on where you live but when I keep my toads in a normal room in the house they have never bred. The two years they did breed they were living in the conservatory so they felt the cold drop and the warming of Spring a lot more. Plus you just pick the eggs out if you don't want them to breed

FBT's?? Yes they are available and cheap. I just don't want to deal with the potential of having them lay eggs and the subsequent cycle of life. I'm too old to want babies and teenagers!

Perhaps I could put a birth control pill in the water each day! (that's sarcasm for you guys that take every statement as literal intent)
    So you are looking for verifiable males? It will be awhile before I know with any certainty.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ericbrookey View Post
    So you are looking for verifiable males?
    What I'm really looking for ..... I think.... is more assurance such as @Nutzyjaz posted above. As well, any other suggestions on what to do with the unwanted fbt's that make it to adulthood.

What I'm really looking for ..... I think.... is more assurance such as @Nutzyjaz posted above. As well, any other suggestions on what to do with the unwanted fbt's that make it to adulthood.
    Well, I don't really think you would end up with unwanted frogs making it to adulthood. You would need to separate them and care for them differently for them to make it, so it's a conscious decision. Even if you have a filtered water source, the tads may get sucked into it or won't get enough food and perish before making it to land or if they miraculously do make it to land, parents mistake for prey or don't get the proper diet and perish. All depends on your particular setup.

I think removing the eggs is about the best assurance I can give but nature tends to find a way so it's always a possibility, however slim, that some make it without intervention.

Thread Information